Chapter 24

"Shhh, mi Hermoso chico" Gina hushes Ned. "You be fine" she assures him.

"No Gina" Ned sobs, "if I screw this up, I could go to jail...Jail" he emphasizes.

"Learn from yesterday, Hermoso" she holds his face as an attempt to calm him down.

I stand in front of my bedroom mirror in my high-waisted jeans and my white crop top. Today is Ned's court date where his punishment for assaulting our dad will be determined.

He didn't sleep at all last night. Gina has been trying to calm him down for an hour while they stand in his bedroom.

I walk downstairs where I find Luke who greets me with a warm hug. "What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"I'm taking Ned to his court hearing" my brother announces, "how is he?"

I take a deep breath before dropping my gaze to my shoes. "Freaking out...I don't know if he can do this"

"He'll be fine" Luke attempts to assure me and it seems himself also.

Suddenly Gina and Ned climb down the staircase. I snap my head in their direction and soften my gaze at my brother.

"Here Hermoso" Gina places a pair of rosary beads in his hands before kissing his cheek. "You will be fine"

With that Ned and Luke walk slowly out of the house while tears run down Gina's cheeks.

"Gina" I sigh as wrapping my arms around the woman.

We're all terrified for Ned. Today's hearing determines Ned's future, whether he goes to jail, does some community service, or just pays a fine. Today decides what charge goes on his file. A lot is riding on today.

And I can't be there. I want to. But dad doesn't want Gina to get distressed or me to miss out on any school.

After ten minutes or so, Calum arrives to take me to school. My dad trusts very few people driving me. Hell, not even Ned makes the list. Calum, on the other hand, is someone who my father trusts with my life.

Calum honks his car horn from outside the gate. I take my backpack before kissing Gina on her cheek.

"He'll be okay" I assure her with a worried smile before exiting the house.

My stomach is all knotted up when I walk towards Calum's car.

Today is my first day back at school since me and Ned's birthday party. I haven't spoken to anyone but Shelby about what happened that night. Not even Chris. We exchanged 'hey's' and 'how are you'?' And that was it.

I'm dreading seeing him if I'm completely honest.

"Hey" I greet as jumping into his car.

"Hey" Calum half-smiles as stepping on the accelerator. "How's Ned?"

"A total wreck," I tell him with a forced smile when my eyes begin to wheel up with tears.

"Try not to worry" he begs.

"It's hard not to" I admit as looking down at my shoes.

Calum sighs. I look over to him and furrow my brows in curiosity. I wonder if Shelby let it slip about the other night? I doubt that she would but it's still something that crosses my mind.

When we arrive at Riverside High, Calum pulls up to the kerb and softens his gaze. "So uh do you need me to pick you up or can Chris-"

I feel guilty that my dad asked Calum to take me to school and to pick me up today. I can find my own way home. After all, I never have any freedom. A long walk can do me some good.