Chapter 20

I climb down the staircase to find Ned and Dad around the kitchen table, eating their pancakes, with Gina pouring the maple syrup.

My eyes widen in surprise before a small smile spreads across my face. "What's this?" I ask.

"We haven't had pancakes in too long" Gina smiles in my direction.

"They're so fucking good" Ned admits as scoffing down his breakfast.

"Cuida tu lenguaje" Gina screams at Ned.

Watch your mouth is what she screamed.

"Sorry Gina" he responds "It's just they're tan bueno"

So good is my brother's response.

"So are you two coming to the game tonight?" I ask "Ned's playing and I'm cheering"

Gina smiles "of course" she then places a hand on each of my cheeks then kisses my forehead, she does the same to Ned a moment later.

"And you dad?" I raise a brow.

"Sorry honey, my doctor recommends home rest for another week" he admits.

I nod slowly before looking over to Ned, "It's seven twenty, we're going to be late"

Ned nods before grabbing a paper towel, placing four pancakes staked.

"Adiós" he waves as following me out the house. I look over to him and laugh. "Want one?"

"Sure" I smile as taking one and folding it in half.

My eyes widen in disbelief as I take a single bite. All I taste is memories. The sweet syrup and fluffiness of the pancake taste just like they did on those cold winter days when we were kids.

"Good, right?" Ned grins. "So uh, what are we doing for our birthday?"

My sweet sixteen? God, I forgot all about it. Every year Ned and I celebrate our birthday at some lavish restaurant with Gina and our dad's extended family. This year, I want something at home with my family and friends.

I blink as swallowing a mouthful of the pancake. "Can we do something at home this year? Hey, maybe we can invite Chris?"

Ned laughs. "Are you forgetting that Gina and Dad don't know?"

Yeah, I didn't think this through.

"What if..." I trail off as I begin to come up with some elaborate plan. "I just pass him off as a friend, along with Calum, Sam, and Blake?"

Ned takes another bite from his pancake. "Not bad Lissie, but you two gotta keep your hands off each other the entire night"

I laugh "yeah that won't be a problem"

***

"When is it?" Sam questions.

"Next Saturday" I announce as the group walk towards the change rooms.

"Yay, that's going to be so so so much fun!" Jenny cries as jumping up and down, "aww your sweet sixteen, you know, I had mine not too long ago and it was the best!"

"Uhh it's my birthday too" Ned rolls his eyes.

"It sounds terrific" Blake grins.

"Yeah it does" Chris smiles as placing his hand into mine. "but my only concern is your dad"

Secret relationships aren't at all what they're cut out to be. Keeping it from my dad shouldn't be too difficult, right?

I nod "as long as we don't act couple-like, he won't suspect a thing" I assure.