Chapter 33

The next morning, I wake up under the covers of my thick bedsheets and for a second, I'm completely unaware of the events that occurred the night before. My eyes wander across my bedroom to last night's outfit, laying on the floor — and within an instant, it all comes back:

Chris' phone call, Blake making that sharp turn, me announcing that I'm pregnant to Chris and the doctor telling my family, to Chris seeing his father.

I shake my head violently in fear before jumping out of bed. I feel like I'm entering a lion's den when I slowly exit the safety of my room. Downstairs is my infuriated family —
People that I've never been afraid to see, till now.

So, I climb down the staircase to find Gina, Ned, and my dad sitting around the kitchen table. My hands shake when I meet my father's firm gaze.

"Ned informed Gina and I about the boy that you have been seeing" My father starts slowly.

I can see the beytral in his eyes as he has now been told that I've kept my relationship with Chris a secret from him for months.

"Dad—" I sigh.

"You're not keeping it Elise" he continues, "a child can ruin your life in ways you couldn't even begin to imagine"

For a moment I pause at his words. Am I surprised? No, I can't say that I am.

A part of me can't help but think that he's talking about his own life and how it changed because of us kids. The three of us have always known that my parent's lives would be so much easier if we didn't exist — my dad has just always been better at hiding it then my mother was.

"No" I shake my head violently as turning to Gina who sat there silently, looking down at her lap, "Gina please look at me—"

At that moment, tears began rolling down her cheeks — shattering my heart into a million pieces.

Gina is the only mother that I have ever known. She was the woman who used to change my diapers, she makes me breakfast every morning, prays for me when I feel like no one cares, and loves me when I feel unlovable.

The truth is, all she ever wanted for me was a better life then what she had for herself back in Venezuela. And now, her only 'daughter' was stuck. Stuck in a mess that she didn't see coming. Stuck in a mess that she can't get me out of.

"Elise, you're too smart for this" Dad says, "I expected more from you"

"Dad, you don't gotta be so hard on her" Ned softens his voice, avoiding eye contact with me.

I've hurt them all by keeping this from them. I knew I would. And at the time, I didn't care. But they need to understand, my intentions were never to hurt any of them.

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen" my voice begins to quiver as I stay standing, looking down at my family.

"Then how did it happen?" Ned softens his gaze.

I hold my breath. "I was drinking...we both were and...it was a mistake—"

Dad shakes his head, "I want you to call the boy right now and break up with him then I'll call the clinic—"

"I'm not going to do that," I gulp down hard.

"And why not?" He raises a brow.

I want Chris and I want this baby. Last night made me see things clearly. I love Chris and I love this baby. I'm not going to erase them both out of my life because my dad said so.

"Because...I love him" I admit.

My father's eyes fill with a rage that I've only ever seen when directed at Ned.

"Love? Ha! You don't know what love is" Dad screams hysterically, "I thought I loved your mother and look how that turned out!"

In the end, I think that everything goes back to her. My anxiety, dad's anger, Luke's troubles staying loyal to one woman, Ned's fear of relationships and his sleeping around. I believe that after my mother left, fear was inbuilt in us all.

"Not everyone is going to leave me like mum did" my chin quivers when I look up at my father.

Ned lowers his voice, "how do you know?"

I don't — If I'm being completely honest. But I'm not prepared to live the rest of my life afraid of love because of a stranger that hurt me all those years ago.

There's a moment of silence as my father stands up from his seat. "I'll call the clinic to see when I can make an appointment"

Tears stream down my cheeks when I say, "I'm not having an abortion"

My stomach knots up in a way that it has never before. Never have I disagreed with my father. Only when it came to Ned, I guess I would. I have always been as loyal as a dog but I can't any more.

My father turns around, looks me straight in the eye, "yes you are!"

"No, mi preciosa is not!" Gina stands up, glaring at my father in disgust. "sí, she only sixteen, not much younger than your mamá was, should she have done the same to you? Leave mi preciosa alone, she a smart woman, okay? I will help with the bebé until the day I die! Neither one will ever ever ever be alone!"

I clench my jaw just as Gina and I exchange small nods before I look back over to my father who puts his cell phone down on the kitchen table.

He sighs and with that my father leaves my sight.

I sigh in relief while Gina wraps her arms around me warmly. "You be fine mi preciosa" she pulls away, places a hand on both sides of my cheek. "Just let this be a lesson...to always Aprender del ayer"

'Learn from yesterday' a line that Gina generally only ever used on Ned. It has always been a line used to keep my siblings and I out of trouble over the years.

I nod in response before climbing back up the staircase. When I reach halfway, I begin to sprint to my room in shame. When I reach my bedroom, I hear my cell phone buzzes obnoxiously from my nightstand. Shelby's name flashes across the screen, to my relief.

"Shelbs" I sob, "I told them"

"how did they take it?" Instead of responding verbally, I began to sob. "I'll be right over" Shelby insists.

---------------------------------

Hi all,

This chapter was long anticipated. It has been my favourite chapter to write so far, so I hope y'all enjoyed it.

What did you guys think of it? Please let me know :)

Please VOTE if you enjoyed this chapter.

Thank you

Happy reading!

- Rose xx