Chapter 29

Saturday, October thirty-first, 2015.

Halloween.

Most people my age spend their Halloween at some out of control party getting hammered. I, on the other hand, enjoy studying at my neat desk before I have to get ready to see Calum and Shelby. See, it's a tradition of ours. Every year since we were kids we have gone trick or treating on Halloween.

How do sixteen-year-olds get away with trick or treating? The answer is younger siblings. Fortunately for Shelby and I, Calum has two of them.

"Are you sure you don't want to go out with us?" Ned asks while standing under my door frame with shaving cream slathered across his face.

Ned and our friends are going to our schools Halloween dance before they hit up someone's Halloween party. After what happened at my birthday, a party is the last thing that I want to go to.

I shake my head. "Positive, Shelby and I are helping Calum take out his little brother and sister"

Ned smirks. He knows that Calum is actually helping Shelby and me by letting us go with him.

"Right, right" he nods, "if you change your mind, you know where to find us"

I wave my brother goodbye from over my shoulder whilst I write the last sentence of my thesis.

And done.

Finally.

I look down at my checklist while chewing on the tip of my pen. What's next on the list? Uh yes, Calculus.

"Preciosa!" Gina calls from downstairs, "Calum will be here soon!"

I sigh as looking down at my wristwatch. It's already six-thirty. I roll my eyes while standing up from my seat.

From the corner of my eye, I spot my Halloween costume. I'm going as Cleopatra, in her infamous fashion. Her white dress with sections of aqua and gold. I bought a long black wig and other necessary accessories.

I walk into my ensuite slowly, examining every inch of that bathroom like a detective at a crime scene. I slide off my grey tank top and yoga pants before jumping into the shower. Twisting the knob to the right, releasing the water from above me.

I still think about what happened in this bathroom on my birthday. I guess it's hard not to think about it when you have the consequence of your drunken mistake growing inside of you.

But of course, no one knows - not one but Shelby that is. She has been as supportive as one can be.

When I jump out of the shower, I dry my hair with my blow dryer before putting on my costume.

Just as I step foot out of my bedroom, I hear Calum's beeping car horn from outside my home.

I smile when remembering Halloween last year. Freezing cold and we all ended up sick for two weeks straight.

I walk down the staircase to find Gina with her palms pressed together. "Stay safe" she begs.

I smile and say "always!" With that, I walk out of the front door.

I spot Calum's car outside of the gate when I begin walking through the front yard.

My friends and I play a game every year where we don't reveal our Halloween costumes to one another. It only failed once when the three of us all came as Harry Potter.

"Cleopatra is that you?" Shelby raises a brow from the backseat as I jump into the passenger seat.

Shelby sits beside Calum's brother Malcolm and his sister Jacoba. Jacoba appears to be dressed as Cinderella and Malcolm as Superman. My dear friend Shelby is Harley Quinn (like many many other people after seeing Suicide Squad). I look over to Calum who is dressed as Fred Flintstone.

"Yabba-dabba-doo! Flintstones, meet the Flintstones, They're the modern Stone Age Family, From the town of Bedrock, They're a page right out of history" I sing the theme song to 1960s kids show 'The Flintstones'.

Everyone in the car shoots me a blank look. "How do you even know that? Not even my dad knows that show" Shelby comments.

"Elise is an old soul" Calum smirks whe pressing down on the accelerator before looking over to me. We read each other's minds just as he opens his mouth and yells, "yabba-dabba-doo!"

"Flintstones, meet the Flintstones,
They're the modern Stone Age Family,
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history," Calum and I sing together, "Let's ride with the family down the street
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet, When you're with the Flintstones
Have a yabba-dabba-doo time,
A dabba-doo time, We'll have a gay old time!"

***

"So you ended it with Chris, huh?" Shelby asks slowly while the two of us stand by the mailbox of someone's home, while Calum and his sibling's door knock.

A small nod is my response, along with a sigh. "Yeah...I had too"

Shelby nods, "right...have you decided what you're going to do?"

Have I decided? The truth is, no. I have no idea. I have been thinking about my options over and over again in my head but no matter how hard I think, nothing feels right to me. If anything, I just get more and more confused. So for now, I've decided to put it off for a little while longer then reexamine my options when I'm ready.

I shake my head, "no, but I will soon..."

My cellphone then buzzes. I look down to find an Instagram notification. It tells me that Ned has posted.

I smile when I see Jen, Blake, Chris, Sam, Ned, and a girl that I've never seen before.

If I were someone else, I would probably look at this photo and feel upset that I wasn't a part of it.

But, when I look around me, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

------------------------------------

A/N

Hi all,

Elise's Halloween costume is attached above so please go check it out.

Also, funny thing. While I was prewriting these chapters, I got up to chapter 35 then realized that I hadn't written a Halloween chapter (probably because here in Australia, Halloween is nowhere near as big of a deal as it is in America). Long story short - Here we are.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter :)

Please VOTE

Thank you

Happy reading!

- Rose