Chapter 38

"Have fun" Ned grins when I leave his car.

"See you later" I tell him before he speeds off.

I turn my body to the building where I find Lara and Jason talking by the door. Inhaling deeply, I begin to walk towards the two.

I pull out my envelope filled with cash before sliding it to Jason. "Are we ready to do this?" I hug myself nervously. 

Jason nods. "More than ready" 

I nod. "Who will the results go to?"

"The doctor will call me when the results come in, then we'll go to get the results..." Jason explains.

"Should we tell Sam?" I ask. "Afterall, I could be his ex-girlfriend's sister..."

"Could be" Jason emphasizes. "I don't want Angel to know...just in case this is all for nothing"

I hope it's all for nothing. Knowing that dad isn't my biological father would actually kill me. 

Lara's coming with us to the hospital so that way I can still tutor her on the way and she won't have to sit by herself for an hour at the center. I wonder what's going to happen to Jason's client while we're gone.

"If we're skipping tutoring, what's going to happen to your client?" I ask Jason.

"He happens to be a good friend of mine" he admits, "we're using his car to get to the hospital"

"Oh, so he'll come with us?"

"Yeah, he can keep Lara company" Jason smiles as his friend's car pulls up.

"Alright, well let's get to it" Lara encourages, making us all jump into his friend's BMW.

"Elise, this is my friend Duncan Thompson" Jason introduces from the front seat.

"Jesus Christ, Jason" Duncan cries with wide eyes, "they're beautiful!"

I smirk. First impression; Duncan remind me of a cross between Jenny and Ned.

"Are you going to Sam's hearing tomorrow?" I look over to Jason.

"Of course" he responds. He says it like he's almost insulted that I would even have to ask. "Why wouldn't I be?"

I nod.

See, that's a real friend — Someone who stands by you no matter what, no matter how many times you screw up. Chris, Blake, and Jenny see Sam as a chore or perhaps a curse — Like he's a small child that they're forced to babysit.

I don't like to see people as a curse. 

I rather see them as a blessing.

***

When we arrive at the hospital. The four of us stand in the hallway, waiting for the doctor to arrive.

"You nervous?" Jason whispers to me.

I shake my head slowly — completely lying. I've lied to Ned about being here, something that I'm not used to. Out of everyone, Ned and I are never dishonest which one another.

Suddenly, I hear someone clear their throat. "Elise Carter and Jason Sanders?" He asks.

I shoot my head up to find Rafferty Marcus standing before me.

My eyes widen in surprise just as I say "It's you"

Raff drops his gaze to his shoes for a moment before glancing back up at me. "How are you doing Miss Carter?"

I lick my lips. "Better thanks..."

"Well, follow me" Raff encourages when we begin to follow him into a room.

"You know him?" Jason whispers to me.

I respond with a small nod just as we take a seat in the room.

***

After twenty minutes the three of us exit the room slowly in silence.

"When will the results arrive?" Jason asks Rafferty.

"It could be three weeks or twelve" Rafferty admits, "there's no real way of knowing" he reverts his gaze to me.

I know that Raff and I need to talk. I owe him as many answers as he owes me right now.

I nod. "Jas, I'll meet you outside"

Jason shoots me a look of confusion, however, he complies and leaves my sight.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that you and Chris..." Raff turns away from me. "It was as much as a shock to him as it was to me"

"They never talk about you...or what happened" I start slowly, "...look, I know it's not my place but the baby growing inside of me is half his and if my baby is going to inherit his family problems than I think that I have a right to know what happened between you guys..."

Raff nods. "Their mum didn't know she was pregnant until the day she went into labour...she wasn't ready to have children so she uh used to sent them off to family while she pursued broadcast journalism..."

"And you? What was your excuse for leaving?" I force myself to ask.

"I never left...they left me" He explained, "we were all in Bosten when their mum brought them here"

Raff makes his conflict with his kids sound exhausting and I don't blame him. I think it's one big complicated mess that they need to work through.

I sigh. "I grew up without my mum or any of her family for that matter...I don't want my baby to grow up the same way, so promise that two will make it work"

"I can't promise that..." Raff looks down, "you really think that kid could be your brother?"

I shrug. "I don't know...Chris doesn't know about Jason...So, if you do talk to him..."

"Your secret is safe with me" Raff he assures. "If you need anything at all, call me" he passes me his card from his back pocket.

"I might take you up on that" I half smile when taking his card, "I'll see you around" with that, I turn around and walk down the hallway.