Chapter 45

I stand at the front of my house watching my wrist watch tick, tapping my foot impatiently against the concrete till I see Calum's car pull up.

I sprint towards the passenger side before screaming the words "we find out the gender today!"

Calum looks over to me and smiles "nice to see you too"

"Hi" I kiss his cheek while jumping into the car, "we find out the gender today"

"It's one hundred percent a girl" Calum declares when I fasten my seatbelt.

I nod "I think so"

"Have you spoken to Chris about...." he doesn't dare finish his sentence.

About the fact that I probably won't survive labour? How can I? I want to, I want to be that person who can just say whatever is on their troubled mind — but I'm not.

I'm highly emotional and hormonal and anxious and I can't tell my friends or family that this time next year, there's a possibility that I won't be around.

I look down at my growing belly "No..."

"Are you going to..." he lowers his voice.

"...No" I admit, "I mean...not yet..."

Calum nods "Can you at least tell Shelbs...It's hard...keeping all this from her?"

I know the answer but I lie and say  "I'll try..."

"When are you seeing Jason again?" He asks.

"Uhh...today actually"

"When do you get the DNA results?"

I think about it. The truth us, I don't actually know.

"I'm not sure..." I admit, "hopefully soon...that way I can put my mind at ease"

Calum nods in agreement before parking his car in front of Riverside High. "Good luck"

I half smile "thanks" with that I jump out of his car.

I wave Calum good bye and watch as his car drives off. With that, I put one foot in front of the other and walk through the parking lot.

Suddenly, Ned enters my vision with a wide smile. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be at practice?"

He shrugs, "I was...I left early to get Lisa Lahey's number"

"How did coach allow that?" I raise a brow as we slowly enter the school's building.

Ned places a hand on his shoulder, "Uhh my shoulder hurts, I think I should go see the nurse" he smirks.

I laugh "right, right"

We walk down the hallway at a slow paste when Kelsey approaches us with wide eyes, looking directly at my belly.

"You're pregnant!" She cries, "how did this happen?"

I blink in surprise before looking over to Ned, whose eyes are set angrily on Kelsey.

"Did you not take health freshman year?" Ned raises a brow.

"Who's the father?" She reverts her gaze to me as though she's hoping with all her might that it's not Chris.

I look over Kelsey's shoulder to find Jenny limping towards her locker. My mind immediately goes into overdrive as I watch my friend struggle to lift her books from her bag.

"Excuse me..." I say before approaching my friend. "Hey, are you okay?"

She looks over to me slowly, with her pink tinted eyes and the concealer that sits under her bruised eyes, two shades too light.