Chapter 28

The next day, I try my hardest to avoid Chris. But it seems that whenever I so much as think about him, the same thoughts race through my head.

I'm pregnant.
I have a human growing inside of me.
I'm sixteen years old and pregnant because I decided to get drunk at my birthday party.

A part of me blames Chris.
A part of me hates him for it.
But a bigger part of me knows that it's just as much my fault as it is his.

"Elise" a voice calls from the distance. I shoot my head up to find Chris with folded arms. "Hey, I've been looking for you everywhere"

I nod. "Well, you found me..."

"What's going on with you, huh?" He asks.

I hug myself, dropping my gaze to my shoes. I draw a deep breath, attempting to hold back my tears.

Keep it together Elise.

"...I've just been thinking a lot about things" I admitted slowly.

I can't lie to Chris. Hell, I don't think that I'm capable of lying to anyone. I just don't want to tell Chris or anyone for that matter about this.

What will people think of me if they knew?

It'll crush my father.

Ned will lose his shit.

And Gina. Well, I don't even want to think about what it will do to Gina.

"About what?" Chris asks.

I look up at him.

Just say it.

Just tell him that you're pregnant.

Spit it out.

"I'm...." I start slowly, looking him firm in the eye. "Not feeling it anymore..."

Chris blinks. "Feeling what? Feeling this?" He points to himself than me.

My eyes widen in disbelief.

Elise, what are you doing?

Shake your head.
Just shake your head.

Instead, I nod. "Yeah"

Chris slides his hands into the pockets of his jacket and smiles, as though this is some sort of sick joke. "No, you love me..."

"No, I don't" I snap while tears stream down my cheeks. "It's over Chris...I'm sorry" with that, I walk quickly down the hall, away from him.

I look over my shoulder to find Chris frozen.

I'm sorry.
I'm so sorry.
I repeat over and over in my head.

What just happened? Am I being stupid because I'm afraid of what may happen if I'm honest?

"Elise" a high-pitch voice calls from a distance.

I stop in my tracks when I find Jenmy and Blake marching towards me.

"What are you doing?" Blake asks when approaching me.

"Nothing," I assure in confusion.

"You've been avoiding us for weeks," her high-pitch voice cries.

I furrow my brows in her direction "I'm sorry"

"You're important to us...all of us...we can't lose your friendship over...whatever is going on with you," Jenny tells me.

Whatever is going on with me. A baby. That's the short answer. And I broke up with my boyfriend in order to conceal it. All because I'm afraid of what people may think of me if they knew the truth.