Chapter 14

Once we arrive at our home, we find the gate open. I think nothing of it. Chris pulls Ned's car up the driveway before the three of us jump out.

Chris attempts to wrap his arms around me, which I pull away. PDA in front of my brother? Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea.

"Will you two be okay?" Chris asks as sliding his hands into his pocket.

Ned looks down and nods as I respond with "Yeah, we should be fine"

"See you Monday" he nods as leaving our property.

"'C'mon Ned" I sigh as we walk towards the front door.

"I'm sorry," he says hushed. "I promise that I'll never do it again"

Sure you won't. I wish I could believe my brother's promises, but the truth is that Ned's promises are a lot like a politicians.

I pull the key from my pocket before sliding it into the slot in the door. I twist the key and push the door open slowly. Ned and I begin walking through the house when I hear chatter.

Ned and I exchange glances as we slowly enter the kitchen. I immediately spot Gina and Dad laughing from opposite ends of the table, both holding mugs filled with most likely coffee.

Both their eyes widen at Ned and I. Dad stands up quickly as walking towards me.

"What happened to your face?" My dad clenches his jaw.

"Noth-nothing" I look down.

'Nothing' is an excuse that I could get away with. I have hemophilia, which is a blood condition in which my blood doesn't clot normally. Symptoms are bruising and unexplained bleeding. We could just tell dad that I didn't take my medication today.

"It was my fault" Ned interrupts.

I glare at Ned dangerously "No Ned-" I shake my head.

"Of course it was your fault" my father raises his voice "Elise go get changed then come back down" the ordered.

I place my cell phone onto the counter before nodding slowly. Ned and I begin walking in the opposite direction.

"Not you Ned!" My father orders "you're staying right here"

I glare at Ned whom just nods at me. I roll my eyes as climbing up the staircase - That's when the yelling starts.

I shake my head violently at the screams as I enter my bedroom. I remove my clothing before picking up my white tank top and striped pyjama bottoms.

I slide my bottoms on slowly, then my tank top. I feel my heart rate increasing as the screams grow louder and more aggressive. I enter my bathroom to find my swollen, bleeding, bruised face.

I sigh just as a sharp pain hits my chest. I furrow my brows as slapping my hand over the pain. Suddenly another one hits, pushing me to the floor. I attempt to inhale but my exhales come out shaky.

My heart begins pounding at a dangerous rate as I grow light headed.

Oh no. The screams grow louder as I lay on the floor, with my hands laying on the marble floor, shaking uncontrollably.

Slow down your breathing Elise. Another sharp pain his my chest as breathing becomes difficult. My entire body begins to sweat as I hear the screams from downstairs.

I need to get up and help Ned. Without me being there things could get out of hand.

Tears begin to stream down my face as I attempt to control my breathing. Another sharp pain hits as a strange feeling takes over my body.

Oh no. I crawl to the toilet, where I press my shaking hands against the toilet seat. Something inside of me begins to erupt, just as a chunky liquid escapes my lips. After ten seconds or so I pull away and begin breathing heavily.

I shake my head violently as grabbing my chest.

Tears roll down my cheeks. "Make it go away" I whisper to myself "Please make it stop"

I clench my fists with determination as attempting to slow down my breathing. Inhaling slowly through my nose, for four seconds. I hold my breath for only two seconds, before exhaling for six. I continue this for five or so minutes. My sharp pains stop, but my heart continues to pound.

I grip onto the toilet seat to help me up. Ignoring my dizziness I attempt to walk through the bathroom, then my bedroom.

I'm coming, Ned. I'm coming.

I run down the steps, attempting not to lose my balance. I can now make out the screams. Panic attacks are something that I've been forced to grow used to. I will not let this one stop me from protecting my brother.

"You were supposed to protect her!" My dad screamed.

"Shut up!" Ned yelled.

I find Ned pressed against the wall beside the kitchen sink. My father only a few inches away from his body, Gina crying in the background.

"You're an embarrassment to the family! Just like-" he continued just as I arrive at the kitchen.

I shake my head violently. Don't say her name. Please don't say her name.

"Shut up!" Ned clenched his jaw.

"Isabel!" My father finished.

Suddenly Ned grabs something from the sink and presses it against dad's stomach. My dad and Ned both freeze. That's when the screams stop. My eyes widen.

"Ned!" I scream at the top of my lungs as my dad's helpless body drops to the floor.

"Oh, Santa María" Gina slaps her hand over her mouth.

My eyes immediately go to the knife, wedged in my father's abdomen. I glare at Ned who looks as surprised as we do.

I run to my cell that lays on the counter before dialling 911.

"Do you need police, fire, or ambulance?" the woman asks.

"Help me please I need an ambulance" I beg with the tears rolling down my cheeks before glaring directly at Ned "and the police"

------------------------------------

Hi all,

Snippets of this chapter were revealed in chapter 7 of The Broken One. If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend that you do so.

What Elise Carter experienced in this chapter was a panic attack. A panic attack is the abrupt onset of intense fear or discomfort that includes at least four of the following symptoms:
Heart palpitations, Sweating, Trembling or shaking, shortness of breath, Feelings of choking, Chest pain or discomfort, Nausea, dizziness/light-headed, Chills or heat sensations, Paresthesia, Derealization or depersonalization Fear of losing control or "going crazy", Fear of dying.

What the character in this story experienced may be different for you or someone that you may know.

If you yourself or someone you know are a victim of domestic violence please use a service listed below (apologies if your country is not listed):

Australia Nationwide: 1800 RESPECT https://www.1800respect.org.au/

USA Nationwide: National Domestic Violence Hotline https://www.thehotline.org/

UK Nationwide: Domestic Violence Helpline http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/

New Zealand Nationwide: Domestic Violence Crisis Line
https://womensrefuge.org.nz/

Thank you

Happy reading!