Chapter 42

I run my fingers across my expanding belly. I'm four months along now, and every day it seems that my small bump is growing more and more noticeable. 

Thankfully, it's winter. Which means I can get away with wearing oversized hoodies for a while. Only my friends and family know — hell, even my cheerleading squad are completely unaware and I hope that they stay that way.

Suddenly there's a knock at my bedroom door. "Hey, hurry up in there, Chris is waiting for us downstairs" my brother's voice cries in dismay.

I sigh. The Winter Carnival is tonight, I usually look forward to it every year, but this year I'm more concerned about whether anyone will be able to tell that I'm pregnant.

When I climb down the staircase, I spot Chris standing beside Ned, my father, and his fiancee Justine. I roll my eyes at the woman, completely ignoring her existence when I reach the bottom of the staircase.

"Hey, Beautiful" Chris greets me with a kiss on the cheek.

"What is she doing here?" I look over to my father.

"She's coming with us to the carnival," dad announces.

"They've also set a date for the wedding" Ned lowers his voice.

"Early March" Justine smiles.

I roll my eyes just as Chris says "we better get going"

"No funny business" my dad demands.

"What you scared that I'll get pregnant?" I retort making Ned chuckle.

My dad clenches his jaw "that's not funny" we hear him cry as we leave the house.

I'm not like Ned, I've never been able to talk back to my father, but whenever Justine's around I can't help myself. She just brings out the worse in me.

***

"Tu pappa e upset with you" Gina admits as we walk side by side across the carnival.

"He said that?" I look down at my shoes when we arrive at the face painting stand where Jenny sits, getting her face done.

Gina nods "eh, he wants you e Edmund e Luca to support him and Justine"

I sigh "I don't know if I can do that" I admit just as Chris approaches us.

"I'm going to get some corn dogs, do you two want one?" Chris asks Gina and I.

"Si, gracias" Gina nods, "solo uno"

"She would like only one?" Chris turns to me for confirmation.

I smile "yes, and none for me thanks...I want to check out the Snow maze actually...Can I catch up with you two later?"  I ask Chris and Gina.

"Si, go" Gina approves, "Chris and I can talk"

"Yeah, totally" Chris links arms with Gina while a grin spreads across his face. "Have fun"

I chuckle before walking in the opposite direction. I spot the snow maze in the distance, with tall white walls and people entering with beanies and scarfs.

"Next year, you're daddy will take you through one of these" I whisper to my belly when entering the snow maze.

I imagine it. Ned and Gina walking beside Chris, who will be holding the baby in his arms. Dad and Justine will be walking behind them, maybe even Luke will be there too.

In the distance, I spot Blake, with his sleeves pulled over his hands.

"Hey, stranger" I greet him. "Long time no see"