Chapter 19

Gina greeted my brothers with hugs and salty tears. It was the first time it years it seemed that her 'children' were under the same roof.

She took Ned's hand, taking him to her room. They dropped to their knees and began praying the rosary. That night they prayed for both Ned and our father's wellbeing. Luke and I prepared dinner as they did so.

There has been an undeniable amount of tension in the house after what happened. No one spoke above a certain volume any more, and Gina always seemed to be crying.

Monday, Ned returned to school. We both walk slowly down the hallway nervously. 

"They're all staring" Ned clenches his jaw, narrowing his eyes at the people in front of him.

I sigh in disappointment, "just ignore them" I beg, looking him in the eye.

He nods just as we spot the group down the hall. We watch as Jenny tugs on Chris and Blake's arm, causing them all to revert their gaze in our direction.

Blake is the first to smile "hi guys" he greets us.

I return a smile "hey" I respond.

That's when Chris gives me a kiss on the cheek, making me to blush slightly. They all looked at Ned differently, which was exactly what I feared. No one can understand Ned and my father's relationship like Gina and I do. Dad's abuse doesn't excuse was Ned did, but it does explain a lot.

We all stand their in silence as a group of Sherry's friends walk by us. "And that's how you get all the juices to stay in" Sherry reveals with a smile.

Immediately Jenny snaps hers head in our fellow cheerleaders direction. "Eww what the hell are you talkimg about?" Jenny cries with disgust on her face.

"Uhh thanksgiving turkey" Sherry reveals with confusion.

"Jesus Christ Jen, And I thought was the dirty minded one" Ned chuckles. 

At that moment Jenny's cheeks flush vermilion red as we all break out into laughter. Breaking the awkward silence had always been something that Ned has been able to do, better then everyone else. 

"It's good to have you back buddy" Blake grins, just as my homeroom teacher, Mr O'Donnell approaches us.

"Elise" he greets me, "can I have a word?"

My eyes widen in fear as my mind goes into overdrive, "oh my God,  am I in trouble? I've never been in trouble before, is this because I left school early the other day? I'm so so sorry-"

"Elise" Mr O'Donnell cries, "you're not in trouble"

"I'm not?"

He shakes his head "no"

"Oh" I readjust my posture as Ned sniggers. Mr O'Donnell then pulls me aside, away from the group. "So uh what is this about?"

Mr O'Donnell smiles "we were wondering if you were interested in any extra curricular activities?"

"Such as?" I smile.

"Such as tutoring" he tells me "once or twice a week, after school? There's a program that just started and they're looking for people to volunteer, I thought that you would be perfect"

I take a second to think about it. I get to help out students from a range of ages with school work. Maybe I can share my passion for ancient history?

"I'd love to" I nod. "When can I start?"

"Saturday too soon?" Mr O'Donnell asks.

I grin "Saturday will be perfect"

That's when the bell rings. I wave Mr O'Donnell goodbye as Ned, Chris, and I walk down the hallway. We arrive to calculus and sit at our desks. Immediately everyone was staring at Ned and whispering.

A part of me wanted to protect Ned from all the rumours and gossip, but realistically, I knew that I couldn't. At our old school, whenever something like this would happen, Ned would do something bigger, to trump the last rumor. Needless to say, there were always rumours about him. This time its different, none of the previous rumours were ever as dangerous or vicious as this one.

After class, I find Ned standing by the fishtank, watching the goldifish as everyone leaves the classroom. Immediately, I know that he's overwhelmed with regret and guilt over what happened and also fearful that he's not going to get his old pofe back.

"What are you thinking about?" I sigh as standing beside him, watching the goldfish swim around in the tank by the teachers desk.

"How this fish knows more calculus then me" Ned responds with a frown.

I smile at brother, "c'mon lets go" I throw my arm over his shoulder.

***

After school, Jenny and I went to cheerleading training in the gymnasium. Whilst the boys went to football training on the field. We are preparing for the big game this weekend against Lockwood high. It's pretty special because it's the first game since the school year started last month.

"How's Ned?" I ask Sam whom stood beside me at the water table.

Sam sighs, "sloppy at first but coach gave him a peep talk about taking all his anger and guilt on the field, he's doing a lot better now"

I nod as looking at Sam with narrowed eyes. Dilated pupils is all I could see. I choose to ignore it as Sam walks in the opposite direction. 

"Elise" Sherry calls from the distance as I watch Sam head back to the field.

I can't help but wonder what he has been through. I know better then anymore, that everyone has been through something that changes everything. 

After practice, Ned and I head straight home. Both in desperate need of a shower, we enter the house to find Gina, Luke, and another guy standing in the kitchen. He turns to face us, using his cane.

"Dad" I cry as approaching him "why didn't you tell me you were coming home? I would have helped"

I then watch as Gina averts her gaze away from us. I follow her gaze to Ned, who stands by the door, pertectly still.

"Ned" dad greets him with furrowed brows.

Ned's eyes well up with tears as he taking a fee steps towards us. "I'm sorry" he admits as dropping his gaze to his shoes "honest, I am"

"I know" dad sighs.

At that moment Ned runs up the staircase in shame as Luke and I exchange looks.

"Santa Maria" Gina sighs before following Ned up the staircase. 

Nurturing and comforting us kids has always been Gina's job and she always does it well. Dad, Luke, and I drop to our seats around the kitchen table as the room fills with silence.