Chapter 5: The Guardians of Altea

~Shiro's POV~

Coran and Allura lead us down to the room we first found them in. (Y/N) was on my back, panting and groaning. I was worried, I lived with him for five years, so I know his habits and that he has a high pain tolerance. But he's never been in this bad of a shape before on Earth. The Galra are the ones who did this to him, and I knew they were bad. After all I lost my arm because of them. When we reached the room with the healing pods, we immediately placed (Y/N) into on of them.

We all stood there and looked at him. He looked peaceful. I heard Allura and Coran gasp behind me. "This can not be real...I thought they were lost with Altea!" Allura exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow, "What are you talking about princess?" The Altean's attentions snapped in my direction. "According to the castle's systems (Y/N) has something that was once found on Altea. He appears to be the current master of one of our guardians." All of us looked towards them. "Guardians? What do you mean?" Pidge's curiosity was evident.  

Allura began to walk towards the door and motioned for us to follow. Lance, Hunk and Pidge immediately did, Keith and I, however, looked back at (Y/N). Allura smiled a little, "He will be fine. Coran will stay here for a little while longer to make sure everything is fine, besides he should been in their for a quintent at least."I sighed and place a hand on Keith's shoulder. "She's right, watching him wouldn't make time go any faster." The ravenette sighed, "Fine, but," He turned to Coran, "If anything change come get us." Coran gave us a nod, as we all followed Allura to the lounge room type area.

"Paladins, please take a seat." We did as instructed, Keith crossed his arms over his chest, "Now, what exactly are the guardians and how are they related to (Y/N)?" Allura stood in front of us and brought up a hologram. "The guardians were protectors of Altea. They were creatures who had the abilities to manipulate light or shadows." She brought up an image of two wolf-like creatures with glowing eyes. "Their names were Kage of the shadows and Akarui of the light. Each had bonded with a master, much like the lions with their Paladins. Kage is mysterious, loyal, he tends to keep thing to himself if he believes it is irreverent. His master is know to have these traits as well as rely on their instinct and experience over their logic." She paused for a moment, "Akarui is kind, logical, he tends to be quite open compared to his brother. His master is honest, has a golden heart and rely on logic during a fight."

I stared at the pictures of the wolves. The princess continued, "I have only met the guardians once. They are older then the lions and far more knowledgeable about them then I. Now (Y/N) has arrived appearing to be Kage's current master. How that is possible I don't know, but If Kage still exist then I wonder if Akarui does as well." Pidge thought for a moment, "Maybe, we'll have to ask when (Y/N) wakes up...I also need to ask about Jordan." I looked over at Pidge curious, "Why would you need to ask? Shouldn't Jordan still be in the Garrison?" The other Paladins looked at each other, Keith sighed, "Right you wouldn't, since you were missing still. (Y/N), Izaya and Jordan were sent on a scout and recovery mission to Kerberos. None of them came back and now we've found (Y/N), but no sign of the others."

I was shocked, I didn't know what to say. Keith sighed, "I'm sure their fine. They were my crew back at the Garrison before I got kicked out. They could all take care of themselves." I laughed a little, "Yeah you're right. I'm sure they're fine."

~Keith's POV~

After Allura finished explaining what the guardians are we all headed to the room we'd be staying in. I laid down on the bed and sighed, "I should have noticed sooner..." I closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep. In the morning I was startled by alarms sounding throughout the castle."Everybody up! Zarkon's attacking! The Castle's about to be destroyed! Go, go, go! We need Voltron now!" Allura's voice filled the halls, "Hurry! We can't survive much longer!" I jumped up, grabbing my jacket and running down the halls.

  "Oh, no! Allura is dead! Aaaah! it's horrible! Her head fell off! Wait! What? Her severed head is trying to speak to me! What is it, Allura's head? What are your final words?" I walked into the control room to see Coran being over dramatic, "Coran..." Allura looked over at us."Oh, yes, Princess, I'm listening." Coran responded still in the act."It's over." Allura sighed."Oh, I know! Uaaaagh! If only Voltron had been formed..." Coran finally looked up and noticed us standing in the room."I guess this isn't an actual attack."  Shiro sighed a little. Allura placed her hand on her hip,"And it's a good thing it wasn't because it took you... Coran?" The ginger haired Altean looked at some device, "Seventy-five degrees. Oh, sorry. No, this is a meat thermometer." 

Allura sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose,"However long it was, it was too long. You must always be ready to do battle with Zarkon. Look at you! Only Shiro is in uniform. Keith, Pidge, Hunk, where are your Bayards? And where is Lance?" Said blue paladin walked into the room,"Good morning, everybody. What's going on?"He said somewhat pleased. "Coran and I have been up for hours getting the Castle back in order. We had to run a test on the alarms, and we decided to test you as well. Guess which one failed." Allura glared a little at Lance.

"Hey!" Hunk yawned,"You got to sleep for 10,000 years, man. Monday night, I was on Earth. Now, I've flown through space, fought some evil alien named Zarkon, eaten goo in some weird Castle. That's a lot to process in, uh... I don't know. What day is today?" Coran perked up a little,"It's the third quintant of the Spicolian movement. Hump day!" Hunk sighed, a little confused,"—It's a lot to process." Allura walked over to a control panel,"You must understand the stakes of our mission." The princess brings up a map of the universe from the Castleship's computer,"Over the last 10,000 years, the Castle picked up distress beacons from the following locations. So, we have to assume that Zarkon has conquered almost the entire known universe." Allura moves the map to the milky way, showing us that Zarkon has barely touched it,"Earth is here. An attack on your planet is inevitable." 

Everyone went silent for a moment, before Hunk spoke,"Oh no..." Allura gave us a nod,"Exactly. Our mission is to free all those planets. Coran and I are getting the Castle ready to leave Arus. During that time, you have to learn to form Voltron, so we can begin fighting Zarkon." Shiro voiced his agreement,"The Princess is right. Let's get to our Lions and start training." Pidge shock their head,"Wait. But I want to talk to the prisoners we rescued from the Galra ship." Coran twirled his mustache,"Ah, negative, Number Five. I have you ranked by height, okay? The prisoners need to remain in the cryo-replenishers until tomorrow." I sighed, "We should at least check up on (Y/N)."

Everyone turned to me, Allura sighed, "I suppose you are right. He should be getting up soon anyway." The seven of us headed to the pod room, as we arrived one of the pods, (Y/N)'s pod to be specific, opened up. I ran over to him and caught him before he hit the ground. He groaned and looked up with a smile, "Hey Keith..." I smiled a little back, "You're an idiot."