Chapter 22: Monster? Yay!

I walked around with Shay and her family. I wanted to find a way I could help, but there didn't seem to be much to do. Then, the caverns began to shake and the Balmera cried out. I grabbed my head and leaned against the walls. "Are you okay?" Shay placed her hand on my shoulder.

I nodded hissing a little, "I'm fine. The Balmera... It's dieing and I can feel it." Shay looked at her family. Rax helped me stand up straight and continue through the tunnels. I closed my eyes, trying to get my headache to go away. "What is happening?" Rax asked.

"There's a monster up there that Zarkon sent to destroy is." I heard Keith's voice. I opened my eyes, seeing Shiro, Keith and Hunk standing in front of us. I forced myself to stand up straight, thanking Rax for the help.

"A monster? Will Zarkon's savagery never abate? Perhaps our people were never meant to be free." I turned to Shay, "No. You deserve to be free, no one deserves to be a prisoner to the Galra. Your people deserve a chance to live freely." Hunk nodded, "Yeah Shay, don't give up. Zarkon's power grows with every planet he conquers, but he's weakened by every being that fights back."

"Fight back? Against a monster like that? How?" Shay's questions made me think. How could we fight it? If even Voltron had to retreat. "I don't know, but we can beat it. Tell her Keith." Hunk stated. "Can we?"

If we weren't in a life and death situation, I may have laughed or made a sarcastic joke, but this wasn't the time. "Keith, really?" I deadpanned. "Yes, we can! This is our first mission and we're not going to fail. We can beat it. We just need some time to come up with a plan." I laughed lightly at Shiro words, he really knew how to put a positive spin on situations. "See? Told you we can. Thanks, Shiro." Th Balmera let's out another groan as the planet rumbles. "Do you guys feel that over there?"  Hunk asked. 

I hissed as another wave of pain went through my head. Keith walked over to me and held me up so I wouldn't fall. "(N/N). Are you okay?" I nodded. "Yeah we feel it." Lance answered.  "It's that sound again. What is it?" I heard Pidge ask. I groaned, "The Balmera. The very world we stand on... is dieing. All because of Zarkon." 

The paladins looked at Shay and her family. "The young one is right. Our home crumbles beneath our feet." Rax stated. I leaned on Keith's shoulder as Shiro contacted the princess. "Coran, Allura, are you there?" My brother asked. "Shiro, we're here." The princess answered.

"The Balmera-" My brother was cut off by Coran, "We already know.  Our scanners are showing the life energy draining from the Balmera."  The paladins looked at the image Coran had sent them. "How does that happen?" Pidge asked. "Taking the crystals from a Balmera is like removing a vital part of the mighty beast. The Balmera needs time to regenerate itself to stay healthy, but the Galra's greed may have cost this noble Balmera it life."

"So what's going to happen?" Hunk asked, he sounded worried. "Its core will collapse, destabilizing the entire skeletal structure. Anything or anyone remaining on the Balmera at that point will be crushed into dust." Coran answered. Everyone went silent for a moment until Shiro spoke, "How long before the core collapses?" Coran thought for a moment, "Probably a matter of hours. The mighty organism willingly gives itself to all, but not all return its kindness."

  "Then our time is short. We'll evacuate the planet. We need to get all the Balmerans to the Castle of Lions before the planet implodes."  Allura ordered. Hunk seemed a little nervous, "Okay, that sounds like a good plan, but how on do you plan on landing the Castle with that monster-thingy on the surface?" Pidge's voice was the next one heard, "You'll need a distraction."

"We'll engage the beast in our lions. With it distracted, Allura and Coran will land the Castle and load all of its citizens." Shiro ordered. "Or we could load Balmerans into our Lions a few at a time and shuttle them to the ship. No engaging ferocious laser-eye guy. How long would that take?"   Lance suggested. "Days? Weeks?" Coran answered.  "We only have hours." Keith stated. "Lance get over it." My voice sounded a little strained, "This isn't about you it's about saving the people of this planet. Besides, Shiro never said you have to beat the beast, just distract it." 

Shiro nodded, "Exactly. We just need to bait it away from the ship. Provoke and evade." Hunk raised his hand, "Okay, here's the thing. I'm worried that we're going to be really, really good at the provoking part, and then like really bad at the evading part. But if—if this is what it takes to save Shay and everyone on the planet, then I'm in." I smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You will be okay." The yellow paladin returned my smile.

Keith turns to Shay, "Can you contact the other Balmerans?" Shay nodded, "I can, but I know not what they'll say. Leave the planet? Our home?" I looked at Shay and her family, sympathy in my eyes. "It's the only option. I'm coming down." Allura stated.

"You're coming down?That thing will spot your pod and blow it to pieces."  Pidge stated. "Let me worry about that. You just focus on keeping the creature distracted." The paladins began to head back to their Paladins. Keith turned to me, "You coming this time? Allura's coming down." I nodded, "I know. But like I said before, this isn't about us, it's about keeping people alive. I'll be more help to Allura then I will to you guys."

Keith nodded and ran off. I sat down, staying with Shay as she contacted the others on this planet. When she was done her expression told me that it had not gone over well. Then Allura arrived, "Shay, I'm going to need your help."

"Princess?" Shay questioned. "Have you contacted the other Balmerans?" Allura asked. Shay and her family looked dejected. "What is it? What's going on?" Allura questioned frantically. Shay went to answer but I stood up. 

"They don't want our help."