Chapter 12: The fall of the Castle

~(Y/N)'s POV~

"What are you doing?" I asked as Lance pulled me around the corner and out of earshot of the others. Then he stopped and placed his hands on my shoulders. He looked nervous and unsure. I grow a little concerned. "You're part Galra." My mind went blank, it then drifted to when I said my goodbyes to the ex-prisoners. "Y-You heard?" I looked up at the blue paladin who nodded.

I backed away, panic building in me. "O-Oh gods... I'm screwed..." I ran a hand through my hair and looked Lance in the eye, "You're going to tell them... Aren't you?" He looked conflicted, I sighed, "Well if you'll excuse me. Looks like I have stuff I need to sort out. You know get a ship, pack that kind of thing." I went to walk past but the Cuban didn't let me. "(Y/N)...Why didn't you tell us before?" I looked up at him like he was an idiot, "Why do you think? I know what the Galra did to Allura, to Shiro. They are our enemy. If I had told you... do you really think you would all still trust me?"

Lance looked down, I looked to the side and bit my lip, "That's what I thought." Lance took in a deep breath, like he had just reached a conclusion. "I won't tell them." My eyes went wide and I turned to the young paladin, "Why?" A smile formed on his lips, "Because back at the Garrison you looked out for us, you're like a brother to me. Just think of this as me returning the favor for that one time you nearly got kicked out because of me." I laughed a little remembering the fight I had gotten into while standing up for my friends.

"Thank you. Thank you so much Lance." I hugged the boy who laughed himself and messed up my hair. "Anytime. Now come on! We should see what the others are doing." I nodded. The two of us headed back to the others. Everyone except Shiro and Pidge were sitting down, talking about their victory. Keith looked up at us, he looked slightly annoyed, "Where'd you two go off to?" Lance and I shared a look as the blue paladin throw his arm over my shoulders, "Just talking about something, you got a problem with it mullet?" Keith looked like he was a bout to reply before letting out a huff and sinking further into the seat.

We all sat around and talked for a while. The paladins told me about the village they had gone to and how Allura had invited the inhabitants to the castle. Which was now what we were all preparing for and soon the small creatures began to arrive. One of the first things the Arusians did when they got here was put on a performance of the battle between the Paladins and the monster."The monster fell from the sky! It was an epic battle, but Voltron was victorious!" The Arusians pretending to be Voltron are knocked down.

"... No. I said, Voltron was victorious!" Their king repeated. I laughed softly as the small aliens corrected themselves and cheer."Thank you, Your Majesty, for that... wonderful production. It saddens me that we must leave tomorrow, but we must continue our battle with Zarkon and spread peace throughout the universe." The princess handed the Arusian's king a small communication device."Hoorah!" The king holds the device above his head and his people cheer once again. Hunk approaches Lance, Keith and I,"We ought to get something like that." 

"Like what?" Lance asked, I was confused myself. "You know, like, a cheer. Like, a team cheer that we do." Hunk replied. Lance thought for a moment before his eyes lit up,"Mm-hmm. Yeah, okay. How about, uh... I say 'Vol' and you say 'Tron.' Vol—!" Keith looked at Lance confused,"Uh... Vol-tron?" Lance shock his head,"No! No, no, no, no, no. The cheer includes the instructions. I say 'Vol' and you say..." Keith raises an eyebrow,"... Vol-tron?" Lance sighs,"... We'll work on it." He sounded defeated.

I laughed, the other boys looked at me, "What's so funny?" Keith crossed his arms over his chest. I smiled at him, "I don't know. I just find your attempts cute." Keith's face went redder than his lion. I giggled a little and saw Lance smirk. The blue paladin then takes a sip of the drink we all had and I honestly thought he was dieing for a moment,"Coran, what is this?" The older Altean turned to us, a grin on his face,  "Oh, this is Nunvill, the nectar of the gods." 

"It tastes like hot dog water and feet." Lance stated. I looked at the drink wearily, then back up at the others."Yeah, makes a wonderful hair tonic as well." The ginger male then sprinkled a bit of the strange beverage on to his mustache and it grows luxurious. Lance retches, Keith and Hunk prod at him until he falls. Coran approaches Shiro, who is watching the Castle's entrance. I smile lightly at my friends. Keith then decides it's a fantastic Idea to take a sip of the Nunvill, but spits it out on Hunk. The yellow paladin turns away before revealing food stuck to his eyes.

   "Ow, my eyes!" Hunk, Keith and I laugh. Eventually I part ways with the others for a moment before joining back up with Hunk and Lance,"I guess we should get used to this space juice. Who knows when we'll get back home again?" Lance asked, I looked at him sadly. Hunk shrugged,"Yeah, if ever."  I look at Hunk a little surprised."What do you mean?" Lance asked a little confused by his friends words. "I mean, if this Zarkon guy has been ruling for 10,000 years, how long do you think it will take for us to fix it? You know, if we live."

"Right. That." Lance sounded a little down. I nudged his shoulder, "We'll survive and we will win. You guys will get to see your families again I swear." Lance gave me a weak smile. Hunk looks at the alien food he grabbed,"Hey, what do you think the chances are of us landing on a nacho planet?" Lance speaks up,"Well, there's only one planet with Veradera Beach, pizza shack looking over the water, and the garlic knots and... my mom's hugs..." The blue Paladin begins to tear up,"I'm sorry. I think this Nunvill is getting to me. I gotta go." Lance walks off.

I glare slightly at Hunk and make eye contact with Coran, silently telling the older man that I was going after Lance. I walked into the control room, Coran right behind me. "Mind if we join you?" I smiled a little at my friend, Lance shakes his head as both Coran and I walk closer,"How far away from Earth do you think we are, Coran?" Coran walked up to up to the controls,"Let's take a look." I walk up to Lance a place a hand on his shoulder.

Coran brings up a holographic map of the universe, "Earth is over here. And we're aaaaaaall... the waaaaay... oveeeeer..." Coran continues to spin the map around, Lance looks at the spining map, sadness obvious in his eyes."You ever notice how far the planets are from each other, Coran?" The Altean replies without much thought,"Yes. Haven't you been paying attention?" Lance approaches the map and I follow. Coran stops.Yeah, but I mean, like, they're really, really far away. Like, say, Earth? It's so far, I can't even see it. The... The blue oceans, the white clouds, green grass... I c—-I-I... I can't see any of it."

Coran looks down at the blue paladin with understanding."You miss Earth. I understand. I miss Altea." Lance sighs and runs a hand through his hair,"I know we're supposed to be brave Paladins and Defenders of the Universe or whatever, but, honestly? I just want to go home." I look up at Lance, a sad smile on my face, "No one will blame you for feeling that way Lance. I honestly wish I could find my brother and go home too." Coran nodded, "If I could go home, I would." Lance smiled a little,"I miss rain, and splashing in puddles."

Coran raised an eyebrow and tilted his head a little,"Rain?" Lance looked at Coran,"Yeah. It's water that falls from the sky?" Coran's eyes lit up with a thought,"Oh, we had that on Altea. Only, it wasn't water, more like rocks. Razor-sharp and boiling-hot. Oh, they could knock a hole right in your head." Lance sweat-dropped,"Sounds fun." Coran smiled happily and a little dreamily,"Yeah." I chuckled, "Well, when this whole mess with Zarkon is over We'll have to show you rain."

A drone that looks a lot like Rove enters the room, but something feels off. I stop in the middle of the room and watch the drone as Lance and Coran start to walk out,"Hey, Rover." The machine completely ignores Lance and flies over to the large crystal. Lance stops walking, obviously noticing something was up, "Wait... Where's Pidge?" The drone begins to flash red. I look at my friends, "Get down!!" Lance leaps at Coran,"Coran, look out!" I cover my face with my hand and try to use the shadows to protect us all, but it wasn't enough, I was too late to react.

The drone exploded and I was sent flying into one of the walls. My vision was blurred and my ears were ringing. I could feel my consciousness slipping slightly. Just before it slipped away completely I saw a blur of red coming my way.