Chapter 23: Saving the Balmera

~(Y/N)'s POV~

Allura glared at me, her hands on her waist. "What do you mean by that?" I sighed, not really wanting to deal with her, not with my headaches. "It is as he said." Shay stepped forward,"All Balmerans give thanks for the kindness you and the Paladins bestowed upon us, but, alas, we cannot take leave of our home." Allura's glare was replaced by shock, "What?"

 "If our great Balmera's life cycle is over because of us, then our desire is to stay with it until the end." Shay explained. "But you'll never survive."I looked down, knowing Allura was right and this mission would all be for nothing. "We contacted the others, and all agree. It's not right that you risk your lives for us. Please, away. We ask for no more guilt and shame upon us." Rax stepped forward this time, now standing at Shay's side. "It is our wish. The wish of all Balmerans."

"It's foolish." I stated, cutting the princess off, "Staying here? What good would it do? For you and your people to die in this place." I looked up and around at the Balmera, feeling the creatures pain, knowing a battle raged above us wasn't helping. "You should all focus in staying alive, no matter how hard that seems. That's the only way to ever beat Zarkon." Allura's eye's shown with determination."I won't give up on you. I won't give up on any of you, no matter the circumstances."

Shay looked down at us with a saddened expression,"But we do not ask this of you. Please!" Allura did not back down,"I have heard your words. Now let me speak mine. I want to talk to the Balmerans. Can you get a message to them from me?"  Shay's grandmother smiled and pointed towards Allura's hand."There is no need to speak for you. You have a unique power within. The Balmera will carry your words."  

Allura closed her eyes, focusing on getting her message across to everyone on the planet, "Balmerans, this is Princess Allura. You don't know me, but I am here to help. I know what it's like to watch your home planet die. For I come from planet Altea, a planet that has long been destroyed by the Galra. But I refuse to give up. And now, you all have the same choice. You can decide now to devote your lives to making sure this never happens to another planet. I am eternally sorry for what has happened to the Balmera, but I beg you, do not let its dying be in vain. Honor the Balmera's death by refusing to give up. Join me in my fight against the Galra."

Shay's grandmother places her own hand on the wall and smiles,"Your words have touched our hearts." I can't help but smile a little as well."Thank you." Allura says. Shay's grandmother shakes her head,"No, thank you. You've given us reason to hope again."  I laugh a little, "Alright, let's head towards the surface, and get off this planet."

  "Princess, your speech must have worked. The Balmerans are moving toward the surface!" I hear Coran's voice as we walk. "Coran, we're just beneath the surface. Triangulate my position. This is your landing zone." Allura answers.  "Yes, Allura. Readying ship. Castle of Lions, coming in! Paladins, how are you holding up?" I had forgotten for a moment about the Paladins."I think we've got him pretty distracted. Are the Balmerans in position?" I hear Keith, I sigh a little knowing that they are still okay. "They're making their way to the top."

I watch as the castle slowly descends, landing not far from where we are. Coran motions for the Balmera to enter,"Bring them out! Hurry, now!" Before anyone can make a move the Balmera shakes violently, I let out a small scream of pain as the mine shafts crumble.  I fall to my knees and watch as the Balmerans became trapped. Coran runs over to us, "It's on the verge of collapsing! We have to go!" 

  "But the Balmerans!" Allura exclaims. "They're trapped! What can be done? Time is short!"   I look around, ignoring the conversation behind me. The Paladins look as though that won't last much longer nor will the planet. I take a shaky breath, "I have an Idea. But I need all of you to step back." 

I close my eyes, focusing on Kage's power, trying to bring it out. I know it hurts... But I need you right now, please... In a second, A dark blue light surrounded my feet.

~Author's POV~

Everyone, including the Paladins and the monster, looked towards the boy. All shocked and confused. The monster was the first to snap out of it's daze. In an attempt to stop the light and power coming fro the boy, it fired.

The Paladins watched in terror as the very weapons they had been losing to were turned on their friends. The Balmera and the two Altean's all looked up in fear, all certain of their own deaths. At the last moment (Y/N) opened his eyes, His hair turning a the colours of the night sky, his teeth growing sharper and his eyes becoming dark voids. He held up his hand towards the blasts. All the shadows in the area seemed to come to his aid, forming a shield for him, protecting everyone from the attack.

"Prince Allura." His voice was distorted, as he looked over his should, "We must go to the castle. It is the only way to save these people. We do not  have much time." Allura did not fully trust this boy, she wanted to turn him away and find some other way, but she knew their was no time, "Okay." The two made their way under the Castle, Allura seemed to catch on once she noticed the glow. "We must preform the ceremony." (Y/N) stated. Allura nodded. Rax looked confused,"What ceremony?"  

  "In the days of old, when Alteans were given the gift of Crystals from a Balmera, we would repay its sacrifice by performing a ceremony. A sacred Altean would re-infuse the Balmera with Quintessence. In this way, we had a symbiotic relationship."  Coran explained, "The Galra have only been taking. It's time we give back. I can connect with the Crystal in the Bridge and use the Castle's power as an amplifier." Allura stated. (Y/N) nodded, "And we will lend whatever power we can."

  "When your father performed the ceremony, it was on a much smaller scale. I beg you. To heal an entire planet, it could take more energy than you possess. You may not... live through it." Coran said in a worried tone.  "I know you're scared for me, Coran, but I must try."  Allura smiled. "Allura will survive this. We will make sure of it." Coran, Allura and the Balmera were confused by (Y/N) referring to himself as 'we', but decided there was no time to ask right now.

Soon, everyone got into their positions and the ceremony began. As Allura and (Y/N) work to restore the Balmera, the Paladins continue to fight the monster and defend the castle. Soon Voltron is armed with a large cannon and manage to take down the creature. The paladins begin to head back to their friends on the ground as the ceremony comes to an end.

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I feel Kage's presence leave my mind, putting back in full control. For a moment, everything was fine. I watch Allura fall into Shay's arms, obviously exhausted. I saw their mouths move, yet all I heard were faded voice. Then... the pain. The tightness in my throat that I knew would come. I began to cough violently catching everyone's attention. I was faintly aware of several people standing by me and Coran trying to talk to me. 

When the coughing subsides I look down at my hand to see it stained red. My vision blurring as I looked over towards the Paladins who were heading our way. Barely regressing Keith and Shiro worried and panic expression as I collapse into the ginger Altean's arms. Two thought on my mind....

I'm glad everyone's safe....

And why the hell does your power have to be so painful to use Kage?!