Fears- Jeff Atkins

You sit in the grass absentmindedly with Jeff’s arm lazily slung over your shoulder, and his fingers were laced with yours. Softly he ran his thumb over the back of your hand drawing abstract patterns. You let your head rest on his shoulder enjoying the feeling of the moment. The world was completely devoid of sound other than the occasional cricket and his soft breathing beside you; you loved that it felt like it was just you two in the world.

“What’s your biggest fear?” He asked breaking the silence as he was looking up at the stars. The question was completely randomly but you both had a habit of asking deep questions out of the blue. You rolled over your biggest fears in your head debating on whether to tell him before taking a deep breath and looking at him.

“You.” You responded simply making his gaze shift to you. His eyebrows furrowed together and you could see pure confusion on his face.

“Me?” He asked; you could practically hear his heart pounding. You could tell how worried you had him and slightly regretted saying it, but you always told him the truth and you weren’t going to change that now. You had to look away before speaking fixing your gaze on a star.

“I’m terrified that one day you’ll see yourself as I see you, and realize just how amazing you are, and that you deserve better than me. Or that you’ll see a cheerleader and you realize she is way more beautiful than me, or that,” you paused and looked back at him trying to keep the water in your eyes at bay, “I’m terrified that you’ll leave.”

He pulled you closer until you were nearly on his lap looking directly into his eyes, “I am never leaving you. You are one of the most beautiful, funny, smart girls I’ve ever met. I don’t want anyone else,” he gave you that smile he always does before he tries to say something to calm you down, “you are stuck with me and there’s no take-backs.”

He gently kissed the top of your head, “I love you.”