Chapter 2: Runners High

Monday came and as I woke up I realized there was late start today. "Thank you God." I slurred with a drowsy smile. As I got up to fill my mind with ads and memes, I looked at my phone. Apparently I wasn't paying attention because my mom already started yelling at me about being late to school.

  I jumped up and ran out the door. On the way there, though I still felt drowsy, I washed my face and I went to my first classes. They went by quick until P.E. came.

  "Four laps around the field and 35 pushups and sit-ups, this is your final for my class so just know this is worth 70 % of your grade." My instructor stated.

  "70%! I can't fail this now!" Some boy in the back row yelped. Soon murmurs started and then a vibe of despair drew over all of us.

  "Crap I not ready, i'm not a runner." I cried. I got into position by the other boys in my class most of them were toned, smirking, or just plain ass-holes, and then there was me the one in-between, the basic boy.

  "On your mark, get set, GO!" The instructor flared. We darted off the track immediately I felt tired and started slowing down and I started huffing. The other boys kept looking at me as I was inferior to them." Damn even the kid with athsma can out-run me." I thought.

   Then I started picking up the pace and I stopped breathing hard and those breaths turned into laughs as I caught up with those other boys and they looked at me in in awe as I kept picking up my speed. I didnt think too much of it thinking I got runners high.

  I finished the mile in 2 minutes. I was giving it my all I assumed. I wasnt even tired though. I shrugged it off.

Then everyone still had their eyes on me and the boys just finished their mile while I started my pushups. When I started I felt better, faster and I was doing them with ease and My instructor was looking at me like a idiot when I started the situps burning through them like a knife through butter. "I feel like I can endure more, wow."

                            *******

  When lunch came I told Nathan what happened and he looked at me laughing. "Are you sure you weren't straining, thats bad for you, you know."

"It didnt feel like that though I felt used to it." I sated confused still.

My P.E. instructor walked up to my table right after. "Balderas that's quite the type of grit you showed out there. Are you interested in joining any sports? Your talent would fit right in to any junior varsity team or maybe varsity with a little training."

  I looked at him shocked because this was the guy who looked down at me all the time and now he's was trying to put me into a sport?

  "Well i'm not really interested in sports right now, Mr. Valdez. I'm not a sports person." I said thinking.

  "Well I can't force you, but you have potential Balderas. Let me know if you change your mind." He said taking in a large breath.

  I smiled and he walked away. After he took a turn I felt a smack on my head. "Ow!" I grabbed my head itching at it.

   Nathan yelled at me, him being the hitter. "You idiot that was a good opportunity for you and you rejected it, what the hell were you thinking?"

  "You know I dont like sports man, im not up for it." I shrugged.

  The bell rang and soon everyone went to class and I was just dazed as to what happened.