Chapter 16: Calm Before The Storm

A week later I went to Leo's house after training to eat and I invited Rale. Vanessa and Nathan were studying so I didn't want to bother them. When me and Rale arrived, we noticed cars in front of Leo's house. We didn't think much about it so we started walking to his door.

As I knocked on the door Leo answered and started hugging everyone. He let us inside and we started talking. "Wow look at you hotshot, you have muscle now." "Yeah hehe, how are you?" "I'm fine and hows training?" Before I could answer his question, he looked at me serious and started to mouth something. "In the room" "huh, what do you m-" I was cut off by pipe bombs being thrown in the room, going off! "Everybody down!" Rale shouted. "What the, who is it?!" I yelled in my mind as I fell to the ground.

  Soon entered men dressed in black with masks and guns as the smoke started filling the room. I nodded to Rale and we both got up and kicked them down. We started disarming the men but they didn't shoot. "What the hell is up with these people?!" I then took down another before I turned around and then faced the barrel of a gun. "No.. it can't be, why are you here?!" There in front of me stood the face of the man that crushed my chest that night smoking a cigarette when I was defenseless. "You? Why are you here?!"

  He started chuckling and turned towards his men. "Stand down, you two follow me!" Rale took a look at him and flared. "What the hell Franko! What are you doing here?!" "Wait... Franko? You mean the A-class champ, thats him?!" I was furious, this man has been near me this whole time! I jumped up to fight but Franko cocked his gun, he wasn't playing.

  "You know him Joseph, how did you  survive?" He yelled. "He took pity on me, so you! WHAT the hell do you want with me, I know your mad but come on!" He started laughing. We were outside now. "Look here Weights, you will fight me in the ring at the club, or I will leak every single fighter there and put you and everyone here in danger." "What?!" "Why the hell would I do that? Why don't we just fight here." I answered him. "I will humiliate you publicly, there is no point fighting you here. Your getting better, I noticed. But don't even think for a fact I will go easy on you like last time. This time we are using weapons." Franko's smile said it all. He had the intent to kill.

  "Fine! If a fight is what you want, you will get it. But if I win you leave this place, deal?!" I was scared, this man made me feel fear. He smiled and left chuckling. "Heal your arm during that time. You'll need every force to defeat me!" As he walked off I looked at Rale and he knew it wasn't even worth trying to fight him in the condition I was in. I needed to prepare. What kind of crap was this? Everyone depended on me, if not then all their information will be leaked. Every fighter will be arrested, I can't let that happen! This place is like another home!

                      **********
  Another week went by, I was training even harder before. No-one approached me, they seen my face. I was furious, this man wouldn't let me fight him right there. Everyone was in danger, it depended on me! "This isn't going to be another failure! I have to win, whatever it takes!" My thought process was insane. I was scared, but this time I wasn't going to let fear take over me again. I fought Franko before, but he wasn't even trying. This time he considered me a actual opponent, he was serious as was I.

  I upped my regimen even higher than before and took off my cast. My arm was healed enough. I started working on my reflexes, I was much faster now, sparring with others and beating them. People noticed my dark persona now but even through all that, Rale came to spar with me.

  "You'll beat him man, don't worry and if not, i'll tag in ok?" He said as he threw a punch. I dodged and countered, blocked. He was just as fast as me, this was thrilling! I ducked and swept his feet, but he pushed the ground with his palms and backed for a kick.

  "I mean but this guy is something else, I don't know if I can do this. But there isn't a choice." I said as I backed up. "Well let's keep this up then, ok?" Rale said as he lashed foward hitting me on the side. I countered with a elbow to the shin. He backed up now, Rale knew I wasnt playing games. I attacked first this time, Rale blocking a hit, but then I turned and thrust my fist upwards into his chin stunning him. I stopped, I didn't want to lash out on Rale.

"Oh my bad man, I got carried away." I put my head down and took off my hand wraps. I was tired, I needed sleep. This fight worried me, honestly it was melting my brain. I got up and we went for lunch after Rale left I went to my mom's house. She opened the door and my mom was furious.

  "Why haven't you called, Joseph? You know I wanted you to check in every day, but nooo!" My mom told me and started grabbing my ear. "Look mom i'm sorry but I haven't told anyone because this was my personal journey. I had to do this because I was tired of being weak. This is my passion." I couldn't hold it anymore. Tears started falling from my eyes and I hugged my mom as I sobbed. See I never really opened up to my mom until today. "What happened to you, you have bruises and your arm. What's been going on, why are you crying?" She was worried now.

  "It's just that I feel so pressured, there's things I should have done better. I compare myself to everything, I feel it's my fault. See mom I have to fight, that's no problem but it's just that, it's for these people I call family and well I can't let them down." My mom was holding me now. She understood me, I mean she had to give up alot to take care of me.

  "Look Joseph, do it if it's important. But if your going too, then make sure you go through with it. Now go, i'll be fine, just make sure you win, I didn't raise my boy to give up!" She looked at me as I wiped my face. I smiled and gave her another hug. I told her I would be back later. As I got in the car I went to visit Vanessa. Once I got there, she lit up when she opened the door laughing. "Heyy.. Stranger." I grabbed her and kissed her first this time. She kissed back and we went inside. Then we started falling because we weren't paying attention. She fell on me.

  "Careful, so.. Where do you want to go?" She asked me. I was thinking the bedroom but I wasn't sure, I mean the thought of having sex on the floor low-key turned me on. "Well right here if you want to, i'm not going anywhere." She continued to kiss me and we continued until the front door opened. "What the-" Vanessa's dad walked in as I got up and I had to make up a lie. "Oh.. Hi Mr.Vanessa er, I mean-" he interrupted me.

  "It's fine Joseph, what's going on here?" "Well see Vanessa fell and I tried to help her up." Mr. Garcia eyed me. I gulped and stood back. "Dad it's fine, and yeah I did fall." She said winking at me. "Well Joseph, i'm keeping an eye on you, and hey Vanessa go help your mom with the food." She went to go help her mom as me and Mr. Garcia stared at eachother for a little too long.

  "Mr. Garcia, i'm sorry if I-" he interrupted me again. "Call me Hector." He told me his name! Woah! "Are you hungry, you could stay if you like Joseph." Now Vanessa's mom walked in carrying groceries. She was like Vanessa, except older. "Uh.. Yeah I mena if it's no bother." I said I kept looking back and forth at Mr. Garcia and her.

  "Not at all." Mr. Garcia grabbed my shoulder and told me to sit down while the food was being prepared. Vanessa joined me and I knew I had to tell her there and then. "Hey babe ok look, I have to tell you something." I told her twiddling my thumbs. "Are you breaking up with me Joseph!" "What no! It's about me fighting. I wanted to tell you i'm going to fight someone and I want to know if you want to come watch or if you were interested?"

  "Oh.., right!" She started laughing. I didn't want to break up with her. I'm suprisrd I managed to keep her. "Well yeah, I will get Nathan to take me ok, now lets eat. The food's ready!" Whe was calm and she was confident in me.