Chapter 24: Detoured

I grabbed my bag and started putting clothes in it and threw it on the bed. I looked over to Vanessa, giving me the silent treatment. She looked at me but her eyes darted back to her bag as she noticed I was watching her.

  "Babe please. I didn't do anything with her. She was just helping me up. I helped her out, please understand." She looked at me and walked closer to me grabbing my hands. I didn't say anything my curiosity getting the better of me, now she started unwrapping my hand wraps. She started with the first one and each time she took one piece of tape off, I felt free.

  She moved in closer as did I and then I kissed her, she stopped me. "Later, we don't have time babe. Come on let's go get the others." I nodded and followed her out the door, running back in and grabbing the urn, almost forgetting it. As Rale and Chase got out of their rooms they followed me to Michelle, Nathan, and Lucinda. We were soon stopped by Zushi, blocking the seven of us from the end of the hallway.

  "Look Zushi let us pass please? We need to leave right now, if you want you can come with us and leave this hell hole." I told him as I clutched my bag and tried to convince him.

  "Well I always hated working for him, I will let you pass but I cannot leave, for if I do I will die." Zushi looked at me seriously. "What do you mean you will die?" He started stating that many of the Rosè workers and butlers had chips inplanted in them that could explode at any moment the boss wanted too. "Oh.. i'm sorry Zushi, I will make sure that we get that bomb removed and make sure you live a free life! I stake my life on it!" I told him as he handed me a pair of keys. I was sure I could save most of these people from this hell.

  "The jeep outside will take you, but please be careful, you have no idea what we are capable of." He told me as I walked off outside. I noticed that the whole house was empty, just some butlers that were taking care. "Where did he go? I need to be on guard, he knows i'm going to try to leave this island." I thought as I sat in the drivers seat.

  "Ok now we need to be quick, the sun is setting which means that's going to be alot of trouble for us, we don't know the island very well. Lucinda, what's the fastest way to get to the docks?" I turned out the driveway as we started planning. "Docks, you mean airport right?" Nathan asked. I assumed the docks would be better but I had to listen to Lucinda as she knew the island better.

  "We need to leave this island, the airport is much quicker, the fastest route is to take the main freeway and take the first exit." Lucinda said as I put the jeep into gear and started driving. We needed to hurry, Chris was planning something. As the cars started passing by us and the street lights started flickering, I heard sirens im back of the car.

  "Pull over immediately!" The police stopped us! Well I was speeding but we had no time to play, so I pulled over. I rolled down my window and started to tell everyone to calm down. "What seems to be the problem officer?" I asked as smoothly as I could to the man taking off his glasses as he didn't need them, it was night now.

  "Do you know how fast you were going? I need to see a licence and registration please." He actually seemed pretty chill. It read Gonzales. "Ok Officer G, I know I was going fast but i'm in a hurry and I need to get to the airport now please." He looked at me, I could tell he was in a bad mood.

  "Please step out of-" Before he could even finish, a gush of blood splattered the window and Gonzales fell over with a thump on the hood of the car. He was shot in the neck, gurgling as everyone started screaming and backing up. Soon a car revved up, but before I could even react, we all were pushed foward by a van slamming into the back of mine.

  Crash! The sound of the glass breaking and the air bags going off made my ears ring. I got out of the seat and pulled everyone else out, and the van was backing up now. I grabbed the officer and got my wraps from my bag and started wrapping them around him, stopping the bleeding. "Don't worry sir! We will get you help, just hang on tight!" He grabbed my arm as Rale ran around the side to try to help me but I stopped him.

  "Get the rest out, that van's coming back!" He listened and rushed back to get Michelle and Nathan out as I grabbed the officer and dragged him to the grass. The van came crashing in the jeep until it stop with the person's limp body laying on the horn. "He's dead, why?" Vanessa cried. I ran up to the van and checked his pulse. I turned pale when I realized he was in fact, dead.

  I looked at his emblem, he was a Rosè as well, but he didn't die from the bombs that they had implanted in their head, he was foaming at the mouth, his eyes rolled back. "He's not the only one!" Rale called out reffering to the officer. He layed there lifeless.

   I dropped to the grass, I couldn't save him! I can't do that! I grabbed the officers keys and got back up. "Get your stuff, we are going to take the van." I told them as I grabbed the man and pulled him on the grass next to his victim. I couldn't say anything, what could I say to make this situation any better?

   "He was controlled, the driver. That's what you witnessed. Chris would use these special types of roses where his staff would make it as the person who is exposed to it would make them brain dead, making them easy to control. Sadly there isn't a way to revert them back to normal. Once this happens then they are alive until thier body can't handle it anymore."

  Lucinda said as she let a tear escape her and got up and started walking to the van. "I'm sorry." I looked at her and then grabbed the gun in the front seat and waited for everyone to hurry up. I wanted to stop this man, I don't know if I wanted to kill him but I couldn't let him do this to innocent people! I walked up to the drivers seat and didn't speak a word for the next hour until it hit me.

  "We have to go to the beach." I muttered as I made a turn, trying not to draw the attention of any police in the area. "It's the urn isn't it?" Nathan asked me as I nodded. "I made a promise, i'm going to keep it. This is the reason I came here. "We have to be on guard, i'll help you spread the ashes." Chase said as he sat up. I allowed him to come as he was the one that Leo let me train with him. We soon arrived at the beach, stopping at the parking lot. Only Chase and I got ofd the car and started walking to the beach with the urn in my hand.

  The crystal water that shined under the moon made everything feel better. The smell of the sand and salt of the beach filled my nostrils as we made our way over the sand. We climbed a hill and stopped on top of a cliff. "Here." I grabbed the urn and sat down. I started to look down and just think of how far ive gotten, how much I still have to do. I was tired but there was no time. I had to show Leo I was strong.

  As I stood up prepared to open the urn, I was stopped with a Click'. I heard a gun cock and I already knew the worst was about to happen. "I'm.. sorry, I thought I could hold it but it's too strong, run Joseph!" I looked up and saw a frightened Chase holding up a gun, his hand trembling. "I can't control my body, you need to leave right now." I listened to him and started taking notice of everything.

  "Chase your going to die, i'm sorry!" I started crying. Lucinda said there was no way to reverse this. Why was he being controlled, when did-. I remembered back to the fighting stage. Everyone was throwing roses to the Chase when it was his match. But I slapped a rose out of Chris's hand. Something didn't make sense.

  "I know, i'm sorry Joseph, please run away! Forget the urn, leave me!" I looked down and started thinking until it hit me. Everyone was exposed to roses that day. Those weren't the controlled ones. I smirked and looked back up, making Chase's eyes widen. "What did he give you? Your not controlled. Did he threaten you?" I told Chase as he started breaking down and dropped the gun.

  "He has my family!" Chase started crying. I felt the pain in his cries. He wasn't holding anything back. I left the urn and sat by down by him, placing my hand on his back.

  "We'll get them back man, if you had to kill me i'm sorry but that's not the way. Your family wouldn't want this. I've met them." I told Chase that he was like a brother to me. "You see all those people in that car right there, they are my family. You are too. Now there's no time to waste we have to save them!"

  Chase got up and wiped his eyes as I opened the urn back and started to think. "Bye Leo, i'll see you when it's my time ok!" I smiled and started dispersing the ashes as they flew in the wind, trailing behind while some got in my mouth. "Aghhh!" I spat out as Chase started laughing. Afterwards, we went on our way. We still had the Rosès to deal with.