Chapter 4: Starting Line

When I walked home from the gym, I hadn't realized I stayed extra hours, I noticed that it still was pretty dark. The street lights didn't help at all, as they flickered repeatedly. I looked back and saw a group of men, and picked up my pace.

  They took notice and followed right after. Then I ran, but as soon as I took the first step they darted towards me. It all happened in a matter of seconds, one catching up to me and grabbing me before I could realize what happened.

  "What the hell, how did he catch up, why am I always finding these types of people!" I saw the other two men standing before me with one lighting a cigarette and blowing the ash into my face, tabacco stained teeth and a grim smile.😃 I moved back pressing into the other man's chest, coughing from the smoke. I knew that I couldn't fight three grown men. I was scared. For that moment everything slipped away from me.

  All I could hear was the flickering of the lights and the sound of the cigarette being hit. I tried to speak.

  "Look I don't know what you want, but if it's money you need, then here's three dollars." I tried to grab my wallet until the cigar dude socked me dead in the face. The blunt force made me lose myself for a second, my mind wandering for a bit.

  I was stunned at this action, confused at to what happened, see I wasn't prepared to be hit by a man at night while trying to hand him 3 dollars.

  He grabbed me and started to crush my body as the other men stood back. Then in that little moment of freedom, it was taken away as they grabbed me as he punched down on my gut and my face. The pain was unbearable but I could endure even though I wanted to just die. Every single hit felt like I was glass, the pain shattering me more and more, no amount of glue could fix.

  The pressure that this man was letting out was powerful, what the hell was he! I was trying to breathe but was confused, what could I do, I couldn't scream or cry I was helpless.

  "Man I can't move, no ones around, I need help I can't fight, damn why is this happening to me?!" Thats all that came to mind. The sweat soon started dripping from my forehead, burning my eyes as I tried to blow it away. My lungs responded with tiring, damaged breaths.

  I felt as if I was being tortued. I couldn't take it anymore. But then as I looked up the man removed his foot from my chest and as I let in a inhale of air, the sweet angels breath of oxygen filled me as he grabbed me once more by the shirt and said, "Beat it." I was frozen with pain and fear trying to control my body one last time. What the hell just happened?!" I thought before gaining my senses back.

  He dropped me and as I got up he grabbed my wallet, rummaging through it throwing me my ID. I had to regain my balance as I was waiting. The other two men were silent as silhouettes in darkness. He took one more look at me and walked away laughing.

  I grabbed my ID and walked away, I felt something i've never felt from somebody before. This fear he made me show was immense and he had me. I was his prey, for that moment in my life I truly felt fear. Nothing was stopping him from killing me in cold blood. I felt helpless, I needed to be able to defend mysel- I blacked out shortly after.

                         *********

   I woke up with my chest hurting like hell and I dragged myself up trying to figure out what happened. I was in my boxers and I had a tanktop on. I pulled it up and saw that there was bandages on my left side.

   I jumped off the bed, legs stinging the moment they hit the ground. I gasped in pain, clutching them. I saw my clothes on the desk to my left, cleaned as well as my shoes. I looked out the window and saw that it was still night. It seemed that not alot of time has passed since those guys got me.

  I closed the shutters and grabbed my joggers and put them on, feeling less vulnerable. I left my shirt on the desk, being hot as it was, I kept my tanktop on and put on a pair of black socks that were hanging nearby.

  As I was tucking my tanktop in, I opened the door and walked out. There in front of me was a man making coffee with his back turned to me. I almost jumped as I turned ever so slightly and made a "CREAK!" in the ground and froze once the man spoke.

  "Here grab a cup, you must be hungry, right? Also my names Leo. You might be wondering what's going on, well see I found you sprawled out on the gras-" I interrupted him.

  "Yeah I know that Sir but why did you help me, why didn't you call the police?" I burst out trying to connect the pieces.

   "Well don't interrupt me kid, look either we can have a nice meal and talk over it or I can give you my phone so you can call the police, your here for a reason." He told me. The look on his face made it all to serious.

  I sat down and grabbed the cup he offered me and took a sip. "Ok, i'll play by your rules, go on." I said trying not to be intimidated.

  He sat down across from me and explained what happened and he told me how he saw me defenseless when I was against those men. Once I blacked out he told me that he went outside and beat the two up, only one got away.

  He then handed me my wallet with more money than was previously there. 40 dollars more. He took notice of that.

  "The way they beat you down, I felt bad so here, some extra money to buy yourself something." I looked at him blank-faced and grabbed my curls, pulling at my hair.

  "Look the thing is you need training kid, the way those men took you down, I realized that you need to defend yourself ok?" I looked at Leo. Was he really trying to help me, but why?

  "If I do this then how is this going to work?" I asked interested now. "My rules, you have to do what I say, I just can't see someone so weak ok?" Leo was hiding something, I knew it.

  "Ok, i'll do it." I never felt so confident in my life.