Chapter 11: Preliminary

The door clamped as I knocked on it. It was old, rusty, and I had to clean my hand afterwards.

"This is the right place isn't it, wheres Chase?" I looked around and then pushed the door open. I walked in coughing from all the dust. It was dark but I couldn't tell if anyone was inside.

"Hello!" I yelled into the darkness, the only response I recieved was my echo. I tried to call chase but lights flashed all around me blinding me. I soon heard footsteps, but I couldn't keep up as my ears were ringing.

Soon, a fist flew in and I barely dodged in time as a raspy voice on speakers spoke.

"Woah now, that's no way to welcome someone!" I yelled as a flurry of punches cames towards me and the voice continued.

"Rule #1, in order to win you must restrict your opponents from moving for no more than 10 seconds. You can either render them unconscious or restrain them for the time limit, or until the opponent admits defeat. Anything goes." I tried to pay attention but at the same time, I was keeping my guard up.

Then another fist this time to my surprise, I grabbed in all this blinding light. I broke their wrist, and held them down. Anything goes the voice said.

The person turned out to be a male and was trying not to cry out in pain. I recieved a kick from the side as he got up. He was agile, and I soon realized why I was fighting.

"The preliminary round," I evaded another hit and countered. I still was fast enough to keep up, considering the amount of weight I was packing. "Is now! I didn't think it would start now!" I took down the man at last and held him down for at least ten seconds until a buzzer beeped. The fight was over I guess.

The lights dimmed and the voice told me to go into the other room. As I opened the door, a considerable amount of people cheered for me and were chanting "Weights!" over and over.

"Damnit another nickname, well this ones better I guess." Ever since I went public, everyone started calling me 'weights' I assumed. It wasn't a bad nickname, just that it was a suprise.

"Round won, Weights." The voice on the intercom shook. I won my first match. I looked around into the place and stared in awe. People were sparring, sleeping, playing games, and well they looked like a community. This place looked friendly but I wanted to find out more.

"I knew you would do it, good thing you adjusted quickly." The voice came from none other than Chase. He walked up to me and patted me on the back. "Well your in now, D-class fighter, Weights." I looked at Chase and started laughing. "You should go to the rank room and check your rank, see everyone has a different rank in whatever class they are in. The only way to move up from each class is if you can challenge someone higher. It doesn't matter the rank, if you beat the fighter above yours, they switch with you automatically. There is benefits to win after advancing each time."

"Damn, that's to much to listen to, all I know is that I'm going to train and fight to win, don't worry Leo, im doing this for you and me!" I stared at Chase and listen to the all the instructions he told me.

"Well that's it, got it. Now go talk to Michelle about your rank and how to apply to other fights. You did good though, but remember there's much more fighters, that one that you fought was barley E-class." Chase told me pointing me in the direction of Michelle.

"I still have a long way to go, these people look tough, I have to show them what i'm made of." I walked towards Michelle. She was tall, probably mid twenties, or younger. She turned in my direction with a clip board in her hand and swung in my direction. Her speed was incredible. I wondered what rank she was.

I barely dodged. "What the! Why does everyone attack me!" I yelped. "Your reaction was too slow, that was just a test don't worry about it, relax. Your really sloppy, whats your fighting style? I looked at her blanked faced.

"Fighting style, crap that's why. I have no technique!" I thought as preparing an answer. "Well the thing is." I said scratching my head. "I don't have one." I looked at her and she smacked me on the head.

"You idiot, you can get yourself killed! Your telling me you haven't picked a fighting style yet. How the hell did Chase pick you, I swear morons!" She was furious. Some people started looking in my direction. Apparently to try to pick out the fresh meat. That didn't stop the fact that Michelle was still mad. I looked at her and spoke.

"Well see, the thing is everything i've been taught has always been in defense. My instructor always taught me how to evade and stay away from the opponent. The training I have been through was just to help my physical strength but my agility. I really don't have any fighting skill. All I can do is throw a punch and hope to hit you." She looked at me, calmer this time. "Fine, what do I do?"

"We have teachers that can teach you more offense than necessary. Tell me, what method have you always been interested to fight?" She asked this time, her face now filled with curiosity.

"Well Muay Thai has really interested me. I pick that one. I said looking at the hand wraps.

"Wow, that's a odd choice. But im not going to object. Then let me see..." She murmured looking at her clip board.

"Well then, Weights, age; 17, D-class fighter, Rank 3. Your new Style. Kickboxing. Go to room 24 to start your training." I looked at her and went on my way through the groups of people.

Once I got to to the room I felt pressured by the force behind the door. I opened the door, trying to feel confident. As I paced my steps I approached a man in a relaxed position. He took on look at me and I soon felt him notice something.

"Why are you nervous, relax. Stop clenching your fists. Nonone is going to hurt you yet. Training hasn't started." He said as he got up. This man towered over me as I watched as he began to inspect me. I clutched the hand wraps, sweating, trying to figure out what he was doing, but there was nothing.

"You need to stop being scared. I can sense the tenseness in you kid. I feel you fight to escape, don't you? Thats a habit I need to break out of you."

"Fine. I know ok, but it's normal to be scared isn't it?" I asked.

"Don't worry, in no time i'll make sure that you're the best kickboxer around. Just remember, the more scared you are, the better you're going to do." He looked at me and smiled.

The training had begun.