9. I Got You

I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air, I could feel a burn in my chest. I couldn't breathe, it was as if I am trying so hard to not drown but I am being forced down into the water and I can't get any oxygen.

I could feel my cheeks getting wet with salty tears and I couldn't see anything. Everything was blurry due to the still unshed tears in my eyes. I am screaming so hard that I am short of air to breathe, yet I can't stop. I dreamed of everything I got to know about my mother's death.

"You couldn't save me," these are the words she said to me in my dreams and they keep running around my mind. That's all I hear even though I know the Gray siblings are shaking me violently and yelling my name but I hear that as a whisper. The sweet voice of my mother rings in my ears so loud that I don't even know what's going on around me.

I feel something plastic being shoved into my mouth, inhaler, it's an inhaler. I'm suffering from a panic attack and an asthma attack at the same time. I can finally get some air into my lungs and I stop crying, tears somehow stop and my vision is no longer blurry. I see the panic, fear and concern etched onto Christopher and Hailey's face. The only sound now is of me hiccuping.

"Are you okay?" Hailey softly asks.

"No," I whispered, it was my short and honest reply. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths to refrain myself from crying anymore. I can't be this vulnerable and weak. I feel strong, warm, muscly arms wrap around my waist and I find my face buried in a hard chest.

I know it's Christopher and I make no move to stop him. His embrace makes me feel safe and protected and he knows it. I tightly hug him back and bury my face deeper in his chest. I also hear the room door close which indicates Hailey's retreat.

He comfortingly rubs my back and continuously kisses my hairline. He softly rocks me back and forth and pulls back when he is sure I have calmed down.

"Better?" He questions. I nodded and tried to smile at him but I am pretty sure it came out as a grimace.

"Everything's gonna be okay. It takes time, and if you give it time, everything will turn out to be great. You're a strong girl and one of the bravest people I've ever known," he encouraged.

The way he said those things, it helped, it really did. It made me feel better and helped me accept it. I was in no position to speak so I just used my actions to show my gratitude. I threw my arms around his neck and squeezed him tight. My face was on his shoulder and he buried his head in the crook of my neck.

 My face was on his shoulder and he buried his head in the crook of my neck

"You'll never be alone. I got you," he quietly whispered, loud enough for me to hear. He had a way with words with just made me melt and made my knees buckle. I think I could even blame the strange attraction I had towards him for feeling this way.

He just affected me that much. One thing I know that it's not friendly, it never was. Nothing between us ever said 'just friends', we've had likings for one another beyond that, both of us know that. I hope he feels at least half of what I do.

"Thank you," I said, it was so low I doubted he heard me but he proved he did when he placed a sweet kiss on my neck.

We parted and looked at each other. I can't imagine what I look like, I can guarantee my eyes are red and extremely puffy because of crying. I must even have a red face, it usually happens when I cry and my hair is a mess. Yet he still manages to look god-like.

"You should sleep, you must be tired. I'll see you in the morning," saying that, he got up from the bed and was about to move towards the door when my hand shot out and grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving.

"Stay, please. I don't wanna be alone," I don't think I've ever sounded this vulnerable.

He looked at me and sighed, I knew he didn't want to leave me alone because he cares. He nodded and signalled for me to scoot over. I complied and made space for him.

He got under the covers beside me and we both lied down. I turned on my side and he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me towards him so that we were spooning and his chest was pressed into my back.

My eyelids dropped due to exhaustion when I heard a whisper in my ear, "Sweet dreams, baby girl." Hearing that I drifted into a deep slumber.

--------------

I felt the weight on my waist and something hard behind my back. I immediately opened my eyes and rapidly blinked to adjust to the bright light. As soon as I was accustomed to my surroundings everything that happened yesterday came back to me, flowing as fast and hard as a flood.

I turned around and saw the sleeping face of Christopher Gray. His long eyelashes rest on his chiselled high cheekbones, the sunlight that shone through the windows complimented his skin tone and his jawline looked even sharper. He looked beautiful, just like he always does but instead of his frequent smug expression or smirk, he looked peaceful.

Out of nowhere, he opened his eyes. His deep brown eyes were staring at me with such intensity. Those eyes looked lighter and even better in the rays of the sun. He lazily smiled and mumbled a 'Good Morning'.

I politely replied and he asked, "How'd you sleep, princess?"

"Good. You?"

"Better than I ever have," he slyly replied.

I chuckled and then seriously told him, "Thank you for last night."

"It's no big deal."

"It is, to me at least. Seriously, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it."

"I told you I'd always be there for you and besides you don't let a pretty girl cry, right?" He joked. I just chuckled and lightly hit his chest.

He caught my hand, turned it and kissed my palm. I was surely blushing now.

It was as if a light bulb came to life on the top of his head as he turned serious again. "You can't tell Hailey anything about yesterday, we'll just tell her it was a break-in. And speaking about that, we need to talk."

"Okay, I won't tell your sister-" I assured, "- but I don't know what you're talking about."

"I'm pretty sure you know but just to refresh your memories, it's about how you fought and shot all those guys and what that Ruth guy was talking about. Understand?" He explained. I knew I was busted and that I can't hide it now. I have to tell him so I quickly nodded.

I really hope it goes well, I don't want him to hate me forever.