19. Dream or Memory?

***

A four-year-old girl was hiding behind a giant oak tree in the backyard of a huge villa.

She giggled to herself when she heard a deep voice call out for her, "Cupcake? Sunshine? Soldier? Where are you? Come to me."

She put a hand over her mouth to conceal the laughter bubbling up in her throat.

"All my kids left me, what am I gonna do now? I can't find them," the man sighed, knowing very well all the three kids can hear him.

The girl felt bad for the man and came out of her hideout just as a blue-eyed boy and a brunette with her front teeth missing stepped out from their hideouts.

The man's back was turned towards the kids as he sat hunched over on the grass. Laughter filled the air as the three kids tackled the man in a hug which caused them all to lay flat on the grass.

The girl giggled uncontrollably as the man placed a kiss on each of their foreheads. "Aw, my babies. Don't leave me alone like that," he smiled at them.

"But that was the game, pops," the older girl giggled.

"I know, but I want my little bundles of joy to be around me, Sunshine."

"Aw, don't be sad pops," the little girl frowned.

The man just smiled at them and replied, "I won't be sad if you stay with me, Cupcake."

The boy decided to join the conversation, "We love you, pops. We won't leave you."

The man had a big grin on his face as all three cute children gathered him in a warm and loving hug.

"I love you too, kids. And I'll do anything to protect you," he whispered.

***

I opened my eyes and sat up. What was that? Who was that man? Who were those kids? I frowned when I realised I didn't have any answers to my questions. It did not seem as if it were a dream, it felt so real. I don't remember much from my childhood, but it did seem like it definitely happened. Why would I dream of something like that if it didn't happen?

A knock interrupted my thoughts and the door opened to a fresh and presentably dressed Valentina.

"Rise and shine! We have a meeting to attend in 30 minutes. Go get ready," she shooed me away.

I just left my thoughts to be and made my way to the washroom to carry out my daily routine.

After getting ready, Christopher dropped into the room to take me to the conference room with him.

He smirked when he saw me in a shirt saying 'Boy Bye' and I just rolled my eyes at him. As we walked through the dark halls, I kept wondering about the dream I had.

I still had no idea why did I dream something like that. I never had a dream like that before, never had I dreamed something so real. As I was deep in thought I didn't hear Christopher calling my name so, when he waved a hand in front of my face I snapped out of my daydream.