17

Mackenzie

It turned out to be one of our classmates just calling for Dylan's attention.

"I'll be right back," Dylan said to me before rolling his eyes an walking to the guy who had called him.

I sat back in my seat, closing my eyes as I wondered how Tanner was doing and if he was still really mad at me. It was only a few minutes free Dylan left when Mrs. Spring came in.

Classes went good. I usually enjoyed them, and​ today, I was given my first assignment which was amazing considering Tanner was on his second already. I was so hungry and I missed Tanner badly. He would have brought me breakfast if we were on okay terms. I just couldn't wait for lunch time just so I could see him and I could have something to eat as well.

Lunch time came and I couldn't spot Tanner, as if that was bad enough, I couldn't also spot Laiqah. I'd grown a liking for the girl even as she reminded me so much of my own best friend who I missed so much. I ended up spending my lunch time seated with a bunch of other students who didn't even seem to notice my presence.

Expecting Tanner to show up soon, I took my phone out of my pocket to text him.

~Hey, where are you? If you're looking for me, I'm seated by the left side of the cafeteria on one of those large tables where most of the students have coats on.~

I tried eating slowly, looking around for Tanner but I didn't see him so I assumed that maybe he was just so busy in class.

When school was over, I packed my things, outing my laptop gently into my backpack.

"Are you mad at me?" I recognised Dylan's voice and I looked up at him​.

"No," I chuckled lightly.

"I mean, we usually leave school together," he looked at me.

"I just have to get somewhere now," I explained to him.

Yeah. Tanner's house. I really was worried about him.

"Oh," he ran a hand through his hair.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow?" I slung my backpack on my shoulder.

"Sure," he nodded, a light smile on his face.

*

I pushed the door of Tanner's house open after unlocking it with the spare key he had given me. I took off my jacket and laid it on the couch in the living room.

"Tanner?" I called, walking into the kitchen to see if I could find him maybe cooking. When I saw he wasn't there, I walked to his room, "Tanner?" I called again.

When I got to his room, I saw him all covered up and only his hair was visible.

"Tanner?" My voice was soft and I made my way to his bed, sitting beside him and pulling his covers away from his face. He looked peaceful and cute even as his lips were drawn up in a pout.

I kissed his cheek softly, causing him to stir a bit before his eyes fluttered open.

"Hey," I said softly and he pushed his covers to his waist, "Hi."

"What's wrong? You weren't at school," my eyes searched his.

"I had a headache and I was feeling extra dizzy so I figured I wasn't in the best state to come​ to school," he explained. "Sorry, I should have texted you."

"It's okay," I ran my thumb over his full eyebrows, "Did you take anything?"

He nodded, "I did. An Aspirin."