36

Kenzi

Stained sheets was something I didn't want to start getting used to, but in the past few months, I was left with no choice. Damn periods took joy in coming over night.

I clutched my stomach and pulled the sheets away from the bed, calculating the number of steps I'd have to take to the bathroom and back. Not only did I have to wash the sheets, I had other laundry to do. I groaned.

I hated periods.

Couldn't I just sleep through the four days? It turned me to a moody wreck. I huffed and took the sheets to the bathroom, the pain in my stomach increasing with every two steps I took.
I finally got my laundry done under two hours, taking breaks every two minutes to go and lay down on my bed.

It was a Saturday morning and Darcy was still asleep, holding her teddy tight to her. I wished I could do that, but now I was done with my laundry, I couldn't get back to sleep. I remembered the teddy mom had given me, asking me to carry everywhere I went. I'd thrown it somewhere in my box, and now, with the pain in my stomach, I didn't feel compelled to do anything.

I was reminded to check up on Mom and see how she was doing. Dad had said to call back, but since he hadn't, I was going to. Mom's number rang out four times and now, a big, big part of me wanted to go to L.A. I mean, starting next week, I had the week free to myself due to forthcoming exams.

If I made a quick trip to L.A by tomorrow morning, for instance, I would be back by Sunday night and that meant I would still have Monday to myself. I would be able to rest and study as well. All I had to do was look for a terminal and a bus going to Los Angeles. I kept all that in mind before walking off to the bathroom to freshen up.

I was dressed minutes later, in a plain T-shirt and blue three quarter jeans. I had been sure to use hot water considering heat helped a lot to suppress my cramping stomach. Drinking coffee at times like this usually went a long way, but things were still stagnant between Tanner and I. After he told me to get coffee alone, that was the last I'd heard from him, but maybe before leaving for L.A, I'll make an appearance in his place.

I was out of the room a while later, my purse in hand, Darcy still asleep. I met Laiqah by her room door looking like she was on her way out as she stood, locking her door.
"Hi Mackenzie," she grinned, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi," I replied, hugging her back and remembering the last time I'd been comforted by her.
"Thanks so much for the last time still," I told her.

"It was nothing. I'm here for you anytime," she said, pulling away. "How are you doing?"

"I'm okay, I guess," I nodded, shrugging.

"Wanna talk? Where are you headed?"

"Coffee Hearts. What about you?"

"Same place! I've got a class in about an hour but I need to stay awake because it's my most boring lecturer," she rolled her eyes and I chuckled.

"So, how are things with your boyfriend?" Laiqah asked as we found a seat in Coffee Hearts, steaming cups of coffee in front of us. I took a slow sip from my cup before answering her, "He already found out before I could tell him that day."

"My, news does travel fast," she said in shock and I nodded, "So, generally, things aren't okay. He's mad at me, and I don't blame him, you know? We'll work it out. I know we will."

"That's the beauty of a relationship. Being able to work your problems out."

"Yeah," I told another sip. "So, what class are you having today?"

"Uh, pharmacy and professionalism."

"Ah. Now, that's the worst class to have a boring lecturer for."

"Tell me about it," she rolled her eyes just like she had done earlier.

"Hey, do you know where the nearest terminal is?"

"I'm not really sure," she shook her head.

"I really want to go home," I sighed, sinking in my seat.

"Everything okay?" She looked at me.

"I just want to see my mom. She wasn't feeling good the last time we talked."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said sympathetically before taking out her phone, "Well, nothing Google can't answer," she chuckled lightly and together, using Google and finally it's map with my phone, we were able to get that the nearest terminal was only a stone throw from our campus. All I had to do was take a cab to the place.

"Thanks Laiqah," I smile gratefully at her.

"It's no biggie. I have to run along now, though," she took her last sip of coffee and got up.

"Okay, have a great day," I told her.

"You too," she smiled then waved a little wave before she made her way out of the café.

I sighed to myself, not wanting to stay here for long, remembering Tanner wasn't with me. I hurried up in finishing my coffee. The heat from it went a long way in suppressing the pain. I wallowed in a bit of self pity as I drank, then I heard his voice.

"You never texted me," Todd spoke, and I didn't look at him as I'd honestly forgotten to text him. I didn't even remember where I'd kept the paper in which his phone number was in.

"I forgot," I simply said.

He let out a breath and sat next to me, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Did you talk with Darcy?"

"We're not speaking. I'm not speaking to her," I brought the cup to my lips.

He nodded lightly, "Do you maybe want to hang out today? To ease your stress?" He looked at me with worry.

"It's fine, I'm not feeling really good so I'm not up to that," I explained.

"What's wrong? Have you gone to the clinic? Taken some meds?" He asked me and I wondered. Why was he so good to me?

"No, no, I haven't-"

"I can take you there if you want."

"No, I actually feel kinda better. I guess I just needed coffee."

"Do you want something to eat alongside that? I mean, if you're not feeling good you should eat something."

"Yeah... sure," I nodded.

"Perfect. I'll be right back," he got up from the seat and made his way to the counter. He was making his way back to the seat when I noticed Dylan sitting at a corner of the café, looking at me in disbelief.

*

Authors Note

Hi guys!!

Why do you think Dylan is looking at her in disbelief?

What do you think about Kenzi going home?

Let me know what you think!

Vote. Comment. Follow me 💜

(The chapters are likely to still be short. It's all intended.)