23

Kenzi

It was unbelievable how Tanner and I were silent through the ride to Ryan's house. It was a Saturday and we could only hope that Ryan wasn't having any classes. He had no idea we were coming and this surprise just needed to play out well.

The silence in the car created some kind​ of tense atmosphere. I sat, my arms folded as I looked ahead, while Tanner drove, his lips pursed as his eyes never left the road.

I really didn't know who was being ridiculous in this situation. Maybe I really didn't know how it felt because I was an only child, but maybe I could make more sense out of this using Bambi as my sister. I related it to Tanner and Renée and then, I threw a quick glance at him.

Okay, yeah, it'll hurt but... maybe he was overreacting?

I leaned back into the seat, biting my lower lip and thinking of something to do about the silence between us. I glanced at him again before reaching for the radio's power on button. I pushed it and a country music came on. I never really listened to county music apart​ from a few songs which sounded country by Taylor Swift, but I was going to take this​ like that.

I sighed, resting my head on the window when I realised the music had stopped playing. I looked at Tanner immediately, his lips still pursed, "Hey, why'd you turn that off?"

"Because it's crappy," he answered curtly.

"You didn't even—"

"And if you haven't noticed, I don't listen to the radio in my car," he didn't look at me, and his voice was so cold I kept shut instantly.

It was then I thought about it. All the times I was in the car with him, we never listened to the radio. In fact, it was just hitting me that is never seen him listen to music. The three times I'd seen him use earphones were the times he was on the phone talking to Edward, Jesse and Renée. 

I made a mental note to ask him if he ever listened to music after our silly fight ended.

*

It felt like forever since I'd seen Ryan. He had been seriously surprised and in shock when he saw it was Tanner and I on his doorstep.

Oh, how I'd missed my best friend.

Even while with Ryan, Tanner and I weren't saying anything to each other. We were presently in his room and when I was finally able to get out of the strong hold Ryan had on me since we'd arrived, I walked around his room, looking at all the​ things I'd missed seeing; the picture of Bambi cleaning up his vomit when she'd put some nuts in his meal knowing fully well he was allergic to them, a Death Vader and Son gift I'd gotten him randomly when he used to be a diehard fan of Star Wars, a hideous sweater Bambi and I had knitted for him. God knows when last I saw him wear it.

On his table were texts I figured he used in school. "Hey, what are you doing with a lipstick?" I raised an eyebrow at Ryan as I held up a peach Kate Moss lipstick.

He looked away from Tanner who seemed engrossed in their discussion, "That's for Bambi," he answered, immediately turning back to Tanner.

"Oh... okay," I shrugged.

"Oh my God, Kenzi!" I turned to see Bambi running to me. We flung our arms out at the same time, wrapping them around each other, and the guys turned to look at us.

"This is what they call a pleasant surprise, God, I've missed you so, so much," Bambi said.

"I've missed you too, Bambi. A whole lot."

We pulled away and then, Bambi ran to Tanner, hugging him and making him chuckle.

And then, the general conversation started. We talked as loudly as we could, grateful Ryan's mom wasn't home.