54

➸Song for the chapter
Heavy- Anne-Marie

Kenzi

I walked to my room feeling exhausted. Tanner had dropped me off after making me promise to come back to his place the next day. It wasn't a problem for me, after all, we were done with our exams and we had time to chill together.

I closed the door of my room behind me as I got in and saw Darcy seated on her bed, hugging her pillow.

"Hey," I greeted as I walked to my bed, stifling a yawn.

"Hi," she replied me in an unusual, quiet voice.

"Everything okay?" I wanted to act as neutral as possible so she didn't know that I knew about what happened with Dylan.

After Darcy had nodded, I walked to my bed and let out a breath, shifting my hair to one side so I could do a French twist with it. I'd not gotten far with it when I heard Darcy sniff.

"Darcy?" I called as I walked to her bed and sat beside her. "What's wrong?"

She opened her mouth to say something but closed it as her body shook furiously as she burst into tears. Not knowing what to do, I pulled her in for a hug and let her cry. When her cries reduced to sobs, she pulled away to wipe her tears.

"What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?" I looked at her.

"Its Dylan..."

Okay, I knew that but, "What happened with him?"

She shook her head so much, she said, "It's all my fault."

"What is?"

She dragged her eyes away from mine as she answered shyly, "He... He caught me... doing it with a girl."

Why was she so upset about it, though? She never took him serious, and so I decided to ask her, "Why are you so upset about it? I thought he was only your fuck buddy."

Darcy ran quiet for a while before she tucked some stands of her short hair behind her ear and said in a low voice, "I... I like him."

Surprised was not the word to describe what I was.
"What? Really?"

She nodded, "I knew he liked me first. He always did from the beginning, but I didn't because I wasn't looking for commitment at that point so... so I took advantage if that and we just started the fuck buddy  thing. But recently, its like, I know I feel something for him."

I was dumbfounded, "Oh."

"He treats me... like we're not just friends fucking. He treats me differently, better than most guys have. He's always there for me. Like, he cares a lot for me. I know that he knows me more than I know myself. I mean, he still sticks around no matter how bitchy I am to him. He buys me little things and he has no idea that the little things he does makes me feel loved in a way no one has ever made me feel. I tried to deny it at first, but now... I can't, anymore."

I swallowed, "Then... Then why were you with another girl?"

"She came in and..." Her voice trailed off and I got that she didn't want to talk about it. "I don't know, I just hope Dylan talks to me."

I bit my lip. I wasn't really sure about that.

*****

"Are you sure you want to go for the party?" Tanner asked me the same question for what seemed like the tenth time the evening of the next day as we got ready for the party.

"Why not, Tanner?" I rolled my eyes tiredly. "It's an after exam party."

"I know it is," he came to me and stood in front of the mirror so I wasn't seeing my reflection again. "Its just—"