51

➸Song for the chapter:
Heavy- Anne-Marie

▬▬▬▬▬

Kenzi

I pushed my hair away from my face as I walked. A million things ran through my mind but the main thing that kept coming to me was the fear of what I was doing. When I checked the time, it was only a few minutes after three and though, the lights from buildings were on, I was all alone and it was quite chilly. I pulled my jacket tighter to my body and sniffed. My eyes still had water in them but if they fell, my vision would be blurred and walking would be hard.

I just didn't know how things got so bad between me and Tanner. I didn't know what to think because I felt like he was keeping something away from me. His comment hurt more than anything and I didn't know why it did when be was right. We weren't dating, but maybe I'd expected him to have looked into it and made a move, but now I could saw that he just didn't want to put a label to what we had, and it hurt.

"Shit, Mackenzie, it's 3am for fucks sake!" Todd's car pulled up right beside me and I was amazed. He got down from the car and rushed to where I now stood. "Mackenzie, are you okay?"

I looked at him, unable to say anything and he pulled me into a quick hug before pulling away and saying, "Come on, get in. I'll take you to your dorm."

"No, it fine," I sniffed. "I can walk it."

"It's 3am. Do you think I'll really leave you to walk to your dorm alone at this time? Come on," he said, opening the passenger seat so I could enter.

As soon as I was in, he walked to his side of the cat and got in as well, turning the key in its ignition.

"What are you also doing out by 3am?" I managed to ask him.

"Was going to spend the night at a friend's," he replied.

"But..?"

"He was being an asshole so I left," he threw a quick glance at me.

"Oh," I moved on the seat. "I thought you'd be at the party."

"I was there earlier but nothing seemed to interest me, so I left. I was hoping to see you there," he added his last words in a quiet voice and my heart fluttered.

"So now, are you going to tell me what you were doing walking alone in the campus streets at 3am?"

I pursed my lips for a moment before saying, "Nothing, I just..." I honestly had nothing to say.

"Does your boyfriend stay somewhere around? Is he in a dorm?"

Boyfriend.

I shook my head, "No, he has an apartment."

"That where you're coming from?"

I nodded after a while.

"Did something happen?"

I shrugged, "Just a little argument. It'll be okay."

I really hoped so.

He was quiet and in a low voice he asked, "Did he hit you?"

I looked at him sharply, "What? No! Tanner would never do that."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that," he ran his tongue over his lower lip. "My older sister is in an abusive marriage."

"Oh no," I looked at him. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. She was warned before she married the fucker, but I mean, she's my blood."