33

Kenzi

I flinched, "T- Tanner—"

"You heard me, Mackenzie," he said firmly, his voice so cold they could have frozen peas.

He didn't say anything after that, instead, he kept typing. Typing with his eyes on the laptop, irritation in his eyes. I stood there, feeling like a five-year old who had been caught stealing and was being questioned. I couldn't tell why he was mad, but something told me this had to do with the party. If it was—

"What happened at the party?" He still didn't look at me, but I shivered and went mute. How would I say this?

"Damn it, Mackenzie, answer me." He looked at me now, frustrated, and I flinched again and took a step backward. He closed his eyes, then opened them, his voice a bit calmer, "I asked you why you had to go for that party, didn't I?"

I raised my eyes to his, nodding. "Yeah... Yes, you did," I answered quietly.

"And you said what? You said you promised Dylan you—"

"I did—"

"Okay, so explain the whole Darcy thing," he got up from the seat and walked to the refrigerator, grabbed a cold bottle of water and handed it to me. I took it from him, confused as to why he would give me a cold bottle of water.

"Yeah, that's for you to relax and start saying every fucking thing that has been going on."

My lips quivered and I licked them. Tanner sighed in frustration, "I want to know why on Earth you and Darcy would—"

"It wasn't on purpose," I spoke up.

"Oh, that's what you're going to say about it, yeah?" He moved closer to me, disbelief, shock and disappointment written all over his face. "In her defense or yours?"

"God, Tanner, I don't know," I was almost yelling. "I was freaking out this morning myself! I don't know what happened, it just did and I knew you'd freak out too. Hell, that's why I never told you about the other times!" I yellow now, running a hand through my hair.

"W- What other times?"

It was then I realized what I'd said.

Way to go, Mackenzie.

My eyes widened and my lips parted.

"Fuck it, Mackenzie!" He moved away from me, slamming his fist on the table again, "There were other times?!"

"No, Tanner, I—"

"I don't want to hear it," he looked at me, "You kept these things from me. So, when were you going to tell me? Second year? When we graduate? Never?"

"Tanner, you have to—"

"I said I don't want to hear it," he growled. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Have you forgotten where you're coming from? In case you have, it's high school, Mackenzie. You're only new here and want to be everywhere. At every goddamn party," he ran a hand through his hair. "That aside, why were you with the Todd guy—"

"Todd has done nothing wrong to you, Tanner," I spoke up.

"You know, what surprises me is you are actually defending him."

"Because he did nothing wrong. We'd simply gotten drinks and he was even nice enough to take me to his apartment when—"

"I'm sorry, what?" Tanner looked at me in utter shock.

What was wrong with me?

"So, that's why you never replied to any of my texts?" He rounded the table before finally stopping at the counter, furious.

"You never texted me, Tanner," I shot.

"Oh course. How were you supposed to know when you spent the whole night at his place. Check your phone and see how many texts I sent you."

I licked my lower lip in disbelief, not bothering to take out my phone while Tanner opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself.

"Tanner, I'm so—"

"Are you, really? You've been keep all these things away from me and, it's like... It's like, I don't even know you or what you've been up to."

"No, Tanner, It's still me—"

"You need to go," he said curtly.

"What?" I raised my eyes to his.

"I want to be alone," he let out a breath and walked back to where he had stood up from, looking at his laptop.

I opened my mouth but instantly closed it when he glared at me. I swallowed and turned, making my way out of the kitchen, then finally, the apartment.

*

I got to my room, grateful Darcy wasn't in. I'd had it in mind to go to Laiqah's room, but I remembered she had a class.

I laid on my bed without taking my shoes off. All I wanted right now was nothing but to be in Tanner's arms. It was in times like this I really needed it. How had the events of the party gotten to him? I was just thinking about that.

Why wouldn't things just go smoothly? Why was university so different and confusing?

And then, Tanner's words hit me, 'Have you forgotten where you're coming from? In case you've forgotten, it's high school, Mackenzie.'

Of course, it had to be different.

I shut my eyes tightly. I wanted to talk to mom. I had to. I sighed and got my phone, unlocking it. The first thing I saw made me groan, facepalming.

Tanner's texts.

~ Where are you? ~

~ Are you okay? ~

~ Do you want me to come get you? ~

~ Are you back in your room now? ~

~ Text me when you're back in. ~

Why was I just seeing this now? I rolled my eyes and dialed mom's number, waiting patiently for her to pick up. It ended up ringing out and I dialed the number again.

I sighed when it rang out. She was probably in the living room and her phone in the kitchen. I dialed her number again, hopefully she'd hear it ring. And yes, this thing, she did pick it

"Hey Mom," I greeted immediately in relief.

"Hi sunshine, it's dad," dad spoke.

"Hey Dad," I was able to smile. I'd missed the man.

"Sweetheart, how are you?" He cleared his throat.

"University is killing me, papa. Is mom there?"

"School work?" He sounded extra tensed.

"Not exactly, just general stuff going on," I shrugged as though he could see me. "What of mom?"

He hesitated before saying, "She's not here exactly."

"Dad... is everything okay?"

"Just fine, sunshine," he cleared throat.

"Can I talk to her? Where's she?" I licked my lower lip.

"Sweetie, your mom is fine."

"That's how I know something is wrong, because I didn't say she wasn't. Dad, could you talk to me?"

He sighed and I could almost see him bowing his head, "Baby, you don't have to worry."

"Dad, if you don't tell me, I'll do all I can to ensure I'm in L.A in two days," I said and I meant it.

"No, no, sweetheart. It's just that—"

"Then dad please tell me," I could feel my eyes water because I almost knew what this was all about.

"Your mom had a relapse."