35

Tanner

A grande latte. Extra foam. Extra hot.

That was all I wanted right now, but I couldn't do it without her. I pushed myself off of the rug, putting the craving I was having for coffee aside. I'd had one of the worst nights since I got here. For some odd reason, my pillow all of a sudden felt so soft, my bed felt annoyingly uncomfortable and I'd finally moved to the living room, laying on the couch for some time before huffing and falling on the ground.

I'd spent the night thinking about Mackenzie but ignoring her texts as well, still so pissed off. She was so damn stubborn I felt the need to scold her, any way, but mildly. She wouldn't sit her ass in her room, and she wouldn't move in here either.

I was out of the bathroom in less than ten minutes. I threw on my jeans and a dull blue T-shirt I'd had for quite some time now. I was on my way to the kitchen when I got Kenzi's text asking if I was at Coffee Hearts already.

~No. You can go without me.~

I really hoped she wouldn't go, though. I hoped she felt the same way about having to get coffee without her.

My eyes scanned the refrigerator and I was just realizing it needed to be restocked. I should make a list but I couldn't picture myself tearing a sheet of paper and writing things I needed down. I'd rather sit and watch Kenz do it. The way she'd probably tuck her hair behind her ear occasionally or the way she would crease her eyebrows as she wrote.

I took a wrapped sandwich from the refrigerator and walked to the island table where my phone laid, vibrating. I grabbed the phone, "Unknown" as the caller ID. Swiping my thumb across the screen, I brought the phone up to my ear, "McCa—"

"Tanner, how could you?" Came the sudden outburst in a feminine voice from the other end. I pulled the phone away from my ear, looking at the caller ID again. "Who is this?" I asked, the tone of irritation evident.

"It's your mom," she said in disbelief.

Wow. Funny how I didn't know that.

I rubbed my temples, letting out a breath as she started again, "How could you?"

"How could I what?" I groaned.

"Where the hell are you?" She demanded, and I replied annoyingly, "Somewhere you're not."

"How on earth would you leave your sister with a total stranger?" She yelled.

"She's not a total stranger," I shot.

"Oh, but she is—"

"You're a total stranger," I told a bite of my sandwich after telling her plainly.

"Tanner," he tone dropped.

"Tori is taking care of Renée. And she's done a very good job at it in months than you have all her life."

"You will not talk to me like that," she paused, "I noticed the Tori lady before, I just didn't think you'd leave Renée with her."

"If you're so concerned about Renée, then go take care of her yourself," I shot and she ran silent.

"Yeah, I thought as much," I scoffed.

"Where are you?"

I took a gulp of water before repeating what she said, "Where are you?"

One, I wouldn't tell her where I was. She was so unbelievable, I doubted she knew I was done with high school, and of course, she could never ask what my next step in schooling was. She already knew I could handle things myself. Two, I actually wanted to know where she was.

"Don't do that with me, Tanner, where are you?" I could hear her frustrated tone.

I looked at my wrist watch and let out a breath, "I really have to go now."

"Where to?"

"To smoke pot," I rolled my eyes.

"What?" She sounded shocked and disbelief edged her voice.

"Exactly," I nodded slowly as though she could see me.

"I know you're kidding me," she said.

"I know you're just trying to make conversation."

"I still want to know why you would leave your sister alone with someone I barely know. Someone you barely know."

"I've told you what the deal is," I tried to control the anger building inside me, "Deal with it," I hung up, letting out a breath.

What did she think? That she knew better when it came to looking after Renée? That had been my job since I was 10. I threw the bottle of water in the bin with a bit of force and ran a hand through my hair before grabbing my car keys and laptop.

By the time I pulled up to the department, I was just in time for my first lecture. I made my way to my lecture room, avoiding all kinds of eye contact.

I was almost at the door to my class when I bumped into a guy dressed in all black. He looked up at me with read eyes immediately, grabbing my shirt.

"What the hell," I pushed him from me, adjusting my T-shirt.

"Are you blind or what?"

"You could have moved. You can't deny you didn't see me, oh wait, your eyes are so fucking red, your retina doesn't see any other colour," I shot.

This guy didn't want to to start with me this morning. Today wasn't already my day and I was mad as well. He pursed his lips before he chuckled lightly, "Watch your back, man," he pointed to me, walking away.

"Oh, you can like to piss off," I said dryly, walking into my lecture room in which the professor stood at the back of.

I slid into my seat when Scarlett leaned into me, saying quietly, "You should be careful with Dominic."

*

Authors Note

Uh-oh

What do you think about Tanner's mom's ?

Any words about Scarlett?

Let me know what you think!

Vote. Comment. Follow me 💜