56

➸Songs for the chapter:
Understand Me- CMC$, Conor Maynard.
Sweet Creature- Harry Styles.
Ocean- Martin Garrix, Khalid.

▬▬▬▬

Kenzi

Tanner was sat up on his bed, his hands behind his head as his eyes were glued to the TV. I leaned against his room door, staring at him and wondered if he really couldn't see me or was just choosing to ignore me. My gaze dropped to his knee and my stomach turned.

Another injury.

"Hey," I greeted, pushing myself off the door frame and made my way to the bed, sitting so I could face him. He pulled his gaze away from the TV and met mine, "Hi."

God, he had such a fine face he didn't deserve to be hit at all. I wanted to hug him tightly but we had to talk about everything first.

"We've been arguing a lot these days," I stated.

"You're stubborn—"

"We're both stubborn," I cut him short and when he didn't say anything, I said quietly, "I'm sorry about last night."

He shrugged, his eyes back on the TV, "It's fine. You had no idea."

"I mean, the signs were there, but I never thought it'd have to do with a fraternity."

He sighed and turned off the TV, looking at me, "I honestly wouldn't have agreed to joining if I had a choice. I just didn't want you getting hurt."

"That's what I don't understand," I swallowed. "Why do you think I'd get hurt? What were you trying to protect me from?"

He licked his lower lip and hesitated before answering, "You know the Dominic guy?"

"The guy who came to look for you the other day?"

"Yeah, that one," he nodded. "He'd bumped into me one morning when I was having a bad day and I said some shit to him. Next thing I knew, he found his way here and asked me to join the frat. He said I had the attitude, but I did tell him I wasn't interested. I always told him I wasn't interested. Then he came another day and that was the day he saw you. The next time I wasn't interested, he mentioned you. Had already gotten your information and I could bet he was going to hurt you."

"Oh my..." My voice came out in a whisper. "I had no idea..."

"That's what I said earlier," a smile played on his lips.

"But Tanner, I... I don't want you doing it again. I mean, this hazing thing," I looked at his injured knee, eyeing the surroundings which was a deep red and I remembered that pledges were being beat there. There could be a blood clot and—

"Are you crying?" I heard Tanner ask in surprise. He raised a finger to my eyes, wiping a tear and I was surprised I had no idea I was crying.

"I- I read about the things that are done to people being hazed and what I read, I..." I couldn't continue as I had burst into tears. Something I'd been doing since last night.

"Come on," Tanner pulled me to him and I cried into his chest. If anyone told me I'd be crying this much in university, I wouldn't have ever believed. It made me miss being a high school student so much.

"It's so crazy that they'd make people go through all that. I don't like that you're going through it," I said into his chest and he ran a hand through my hair. The action made me feel relaxed and my cries reduced to sobs.

"It's nothing I can't handle, Kenz," he said. "Dominic likes me so he told the other guys to take it easy on me."

"But you're still getting hit," my voice was muffled.