22

Mackenzie

"Hey big head, what's wrong? You don't seem as excited as you were minutes ago," I said, looking  at Tanner.

We stood by the the front door as I was about to leave. We had spent quite some time together with Renée upstairs but I noticed his smile didn't reach his eyes. And now, he was insisting on taking me home.

"What do you mean?" He chuckled lightly.

"You're not looking as happy as before. I don't know, is everything okay?"

He breathed out a small laugh before pulling me to him, "Everything's fine, Kenz."

I looked up at him, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, cupping my face and kissing my forehead, "Yes."

"Don't forget we're seeing Bambi and Ryan tomorrow and you need to be up on time, besides I'm pretty sure you're tired. Go in and get some rest, old man."

"No, I-"

"I'll text you when I'm home."

"If you say so," he sighed

"Yes, so get your butt-"

Just then, Renée came in running, her ponytail bouncing as she ran, "Zee's leaving now?"

"Yes, Renée. I've got to get home now," I replied, a smile on my face.

"I thought you would stay over," she scrunched up her nose and Tanner looked at her.

"I could, but I also have to go be with my parents," I kissed her cheek and she flung her arms around me before moving to her brother's side.

*

Tanner

"I missed you so much!" Renée squealed as she bounced on my bed, her hair following her movement.

I stood in front of my wardrobe, pushing in a few clothes in it.

"While you were gone, Tori and I had so much fun!" She said in a loud voice, nothing but excitement in her voice and I stiffened.

I couldn't exactly place why I was feeling this way. The news was supposed to excite me but a sinking feeling settled over me.  "She took me to so many places—"

"On school nights?" I cut her short abruptly.

"No, of course not, Tanner!" She giggled, still bouncing on the bed. "She took me to the park many times and..."

I zoned out.

Renée loved when I took her to the park. It was one of the many things we called 'our thing'. Renée and I were familiar with the park since years ago. Every Saturday, I took her to the park and I'll wait with her. We'd talk and eat and if I was in a playful mood, I'd play with her. If I ever felt the need to get out of my parents space, I took her along with me to the park.

"... And the other day!" She stopped, her eyes sparkling with delight, "We went to the mall! She—"

"Okay, come here little one!" I pulled her down on me and she giggled,clutching my arm. I ruffled her hair, "Let's see how strong you've grown over the past month," my hands rested under her arms moving down and tickling her sides. She laughed hard begging me to stop, and I felt like it was enough, I hugged her tightly, chuckling as she tried to catch her breath.

"Have mom and dad been home often?" I asked in a low voice after a few minutes of silence between us.

"Hmm not really," she shook her head. "But that's okay, because Tori talked to me about them."