8 The Fight

Polina PoV

My working shift on Thursday had passed quickly, mostly because my girls came to annoy me. They chattered about every person that came to the cafe and pestered every nice-looking guy, despite that he might be with his girlfriend. I had to calm them down all the time and apologized for their behavior to other customers. After a while, I was irritated with this and made them leave. The girls made an offended expression on their faces and went away.

At 10 o'clock, my work shift was finally over. I was alone, so I needed to check everything and close the door. Now I could go home and rest

"Why do I even bother to have a job, I have got enough money for living". I covered my eyes with a hand in annoyance. Nobody knew about this, except Margo, so I needed to follow my legend. Because of my past, and because of who I am, I needed to hide a lot about myself.

Margo had taken my car earlier, so I shoved my hands into pockets of my leather jacket and headed back to my apartment. It was a long walk, and it was already dark outside. It would have been better if I took a taxi, but I wanted to walk and could handle myself.

The night was cold and I hugged myself to keep me warm. I turned the corner to cut down the road. It was quiet around, there was only a noise made by my shoes hitting the concrete. I had made it to the middle of the alley when I heard footsteps behind me. I looked around

"Fuck" I saw two bulky men following me. "It is time to learn not to walk in the dark alleys by myself at night". I speed up, hoping to get to the end of the alley where the main road was, I could jump in the taxi there.

"Well, double fuck" I thought when I saw two more menacing guys in front of me. I had no choice, I needed to fight my way out.

Not slowing down, I quickly punched the dude in front of me with my fist.

- You bitch! – He exclaimed, holding his nose, which I broke. This was a signal for the rest to attack.

I had managed to kick the other one in his ribs with my leg when the other two grabbed both of my hands.

- Now we talk, bitch, - he said venomously with a nasty smile, approaching me.

Using two morons who were holding my hands for my support, I battered the one who stood in front of me with my leg, and flipped back releasing my hands at the same moment.

- That's it, now you've done! – He spat out, and pulled out his knife, hatred laced his face.

"Aw, this is just great" I thought.

I knocked out his knife, but this was not enough, considering the other two were holding theirs too. Even the one with a broken nose started to show interest in the situation. The two of them attacked me and I fought back with all my strength, but I didn't notice when one with a broken nose, hit me with a bat over my head.

"Is this how it ends?" The thought crept into my mind and everything just went blank.

Albeit, I was unconscious not for long and what I first saw was Nick. He was good. No, scratch that. He was amazing, like Ares himself had come for my rescue, throwing my offenders around without even sweating. "Aw God looks like I hit my head badly."

I groaned and tried to stand up clinging to the wall for support.

I was on my feet just in time to notice the gun in guy's hand. Everything went like in slow motion: I punched the jerk and kicked the gun out from his grip, and bend down to pick it. I aimed for the other one who was pointing his gun at Nick's head.

- Hey! – I cried out and shot out his arm. He dropped his gun and cradled his arm.

All the rest had turned to me and went still including Nick, who was looking at me with wide eyes. Not thinking for too long, I shot out the other one to his leg. Well, he earned that. The other three run away leaving their injured accessory behind. He was lying on the ground and whining. I came closer to him and pointed a gun at his head.

- Who the fuck are you? Why did you fly at me? – I said in a dead voice.

- Fuck you – he spat out.

Bang!

I shot his other leg just above his knee. I hate being disrespected.

- I will ask again, why did you attack me? – I began to lose my patience.

He didn't want to answer and I stepped on his wounded leg with my shoe, pressing on it. He shrieked and tried to move my foot away. I pressed harder.

- Ok, Ok! – he yelled, - Daniel sent us, – he wailed, trying to stop his leg from bleeding after I removed my shoe.

- And who the fuck is Daniel? – I was irritated to say the least.

He took his time to answer and I threaten to shoot his dick.

- He is the second in the Devil's gang, and Devil is the head of the ... -

- Demons – we finished saying together.

"They found me," I became numb "No, not again".

Nick, who was silently standing in the shadows all this time, took my hand and pulled me to draw my attention.

- We need to go now, someone must hear shooting and called cops. – Nick said gently.

I nodded and tailed after him.

- And what should I do? – I heard behind. The moron thought that we would take him to the hospital or what?

Nick opened the door of his car for me and I got in. I put the gun into the pocket of my jacket and turned my head to the window. I was crushed, disappointed, and confused. I didn't know what to do now that they had found me.

By 'they', I meant Richard White or "Devil" as people, who knew about his shadow business, called him. Actually, almost everyone new about his illegal business, but he corrupted a majority in the police and other authorities so he could remain clean and at large. There were people who tried to lock him down but to no avail. He always came up clean and those people - dead.

Now I had to run away again and start everything from the beginning. In a while, Nick gave in and asked:

- Hey, are you ok? Do you need to go to the hospital? – He was worried about me but I didn't respond, being deep in my sad thoughts.

Nick gently took my hand in his and caressed it with his thumb. I turned my face to look at him:

- What? – I asked confused.

- Do you need to go to the hospital? – he repeated looking with concern. – You were badly hit over your head.

- No, I'm ok, it has stopped bleeding already – I reassured him with a thick voice.

We were driving silently further. Nick was driving with his one hand on the wheel, and with another one, he was holding my hand.

I focused on the vibrations that this small action made me feel and it soothed my mind. Why did he always affect me so much, as if I had known him from our past lives, and my body craved his close to mine? I needed him. I wanted him.

"Is it insane that I know nothing about him but I still... I don't know... Trust him? Want him?" Crazy, I know, I'm not stupid. I knew he hid something, he was lying and he had secrets, but It seemed like I couldn't help myself, I still wanted to be close to him.

My head was killing me and my eyes became heavy.

- Where are we going? – I asked sleepily.

- To mine, it is the safest place for you now.

- Uh-huh – and I closed my eyes.