20 The Mission

Polina PoV

I was slowly moving through the crowd with one goal – to reach him, the cause of my broken family, the cause of my nonexistent childhood, the main figure of my nightmares – Richard White. I took my chance to study him.

He was quite handsome, frankly speaking. Light grey hair was cut in a modern way, adding something aristocratic to his appearance. The impression was intensified with his confident posture and an expensive, tailored suit which fit him perfectly. It showed his stout figure with broad shoulders. Nevertheless, all in one, he was like a normal successful businessman with aura of power and, authority around him.

Oh, what a bullshit. This man wanted me dead for more than ten years, but today our roles changed. I would have the last laugh.  Today I would take his role of vicious predator and become one.

I stopped. He was talking with three men in suites and his eyes were roaming through the ballroom. As soon as his eyes met mine, a cold shiver ran down my spine.

His eyes were cold and hard, making me feel uneasy and evoking the need to run away. I knew he recognized me instantly and his mouth curved into a smile that looked more like a nasty grin. He lifted his hand and the person who was talking to him shut up immediately.

- Gentlemen, excuse me for a moment, I need to leave you. – His voice was gruff and not waiting for a response, he went in my direction.

I tried to hide my fear under the mask of nonchalance. I plastered a fake smile even waved him.

- Good evening, Mr. White – I said with a factitious cheerfulness, – my name is Polina Ross.

- I'm perfectly aware who you are, Mss. Ivanova, - his eyes burned with hatred but he still kept the smile on his face. – I admit you surprised me with the sudden visit. You have a blooming look. – He scowled.

- Thank you, I achieved it by still being alive – I sassed. A loud laugh escaped his mouth.

- What can I do for you? - He asked me with curiosity. His eyes were studying perimeter searching for any danger.

- I  can't keep hiding, Mr. White, so I came to make a deal. – I was playing my role.

- A deal? – His stern eyes darted to mine but he still kept his façade of charitable host – What kind of deal?

- I will give you information about my father in exchange of my well-being.

- Hmm, not quite sure you own the necessary information. – He shook his head, but I saw his eyes flashed with interest.

I needed to convince him or this all would be for nothing.

- I wouldn't be so stupid to come here without a good reason, you just need to listen to what I have to say and make a promise to let me be. – I was nervous, my palms were sticky because of sweat and I had a feeling I would puke any minute. But I hopped it wasn't that obvious to him.

- Oh well, - he brushed his hands together. – We can talk in my office without anyone to eavesdrop.

I kept the sign of relief in me and looked around to search for Nick. He was nowhere to be seen.

- Let's go – I nodded with a smile, perfectly sure I had no other choice even if I wanted to run.

He gestured with his hand to go upstairs and as soon as I turned that way, his hand tightly gripped my elbow. I winced a little, but pretended I didn't mind.

As I stood on the stairs, I throw a quick glance around for Nick, but still couldn't find him. I really hoped he was already on his way to Richard's office.