14. Hit The Road

Polina PoV

Sitting in Nick's car, I didn't have anything planned. I couldn't get my head together. My mind kept wandering around with questions about what would happen next, where do I go, why this all happen to me... And Nick being with me didn't help. We were driving for 20 minutes in silence when it hit me that Nick drove the wrong way.

- Where are we going? I need to get home and pick up some stuff – I said to him.

- You can't go there, they are already waiting for you.

I didn't need to ask who were "they". I feared "them" practically all my life. "They" never stopped to fill all my nightmares. But I had lived through this, and this time it won't be any different. I would run from this city and settle somewhere by another name. It's the way the wind blows all my life. I had everything I would need to make a new start in my flat.

- So? - I lifted my brow with a question - I have my passport and other stuff that would be useful at home – I explained to Nick controlling my anger at bay. – So either you gonna drive me there or I will get there by myself.

I was getting more annoyed about Nick's presence and about his care for my well-being out of the blue. I had a second thought about going somewhere with him. I think now, that I sort of blamed him in this shitty situation. And the second reason was that I wanted to trust him but I couldn't. Who would blame me in this? He was paid to kill me. And no matter what, he still was attracting me.

I huffed and turned away from his handsome sculptured face. I felt Nick's hard gaze burning at my head, but I kept looking out in the window. I heard him sighed and he sharply turned the car. I shifted on the car seat after this sudden maneuver and looked at Nick.

- Well, start talking – Nick glanced at me and raised his eyebrow, – you said back there that you wanna talk. – I reminded him, – So, talk. Are you working for Richard White? – I asked, suddenly very scared to hear the answer, but I needed to know more if he wanted me to trust him.

- No, I'm a freelancer, – He chuckled. – I take orders from anybody who pays good money.

- You're killing people for money. – I clarified.

- Yes. – He answered calmly, his eyes darted to mine to study my reaction at his words. I made myself keep a straight face, I didn't want to show him my fear.

- Why didn't you kill me? – I asked the question that was bothering me for the whole time.

- Well, at first I was going to. I followed you for a few days and all these ins and outs were bothering me about the whole situation. It seemed not right, especially after I met you in that alley I couldn't bring myself to do it. – He said tensely frowning at something, his hands were gripping the wheel.

Something was bothering him, I could feel it in my bones. I was thinking of what he had said.

- What do you mean? – I asked confused.

- Well, in a nutshell, according to your profile, you're an ordinary college girl. When I was following you, I saw that I wasn't the only one interested. There was also the guy you met in that alley. He's from the Golden Dragons. Now tell me, what do the two biggest organizations in the city want from a simple girl? I'm not hiding it, I was curious. So, I asked more around about you and it appeared that there's no information about you till you turned up eighteen. How come? – he asked me but I passed over the questions, asking him instead.

- And what was next?

- You know the rest. You were attacked, I came just in time to help you out, we met and everything becomes a mess. – He finished angrily.