21 Escape

Nick PoV

- And who's the hero now? – Her beautiful face was shining with a victorious smile after she smashed that vase.

I wanted to joke back but something caught my attention. I saw one bulky guard run in the hall with his gun ready. Polina stood in front of me, clueless to what was behind her back. A fear that I never experienced in my whole life, shot through my body as a lightning, when I registered the situation. She was in danger, I might lose her. No, no, no....

- Polina!! – I shouted and abruptly pulled her hand at the same time, shielding her with my body.

I didn't register when exactly the gunshot blew, was it before or after I covered Polina with my body, but the second she was behind me, I turned around and shot the guard dead.

I examined her body looking frantically for any injuries and there were none. I took a sharp breath of relief. She was ok, she was safe with me. I lifted my eyes and saw her already staring at me with a tender smile.

- You did it again, you saved me, – her voice was like a whisper, – it looks like you're still my hero after all.

Her eyes traveled down my body and panic crossed her face. – Nick, you're bleeding – she yelled in fear.

- What? – I felt something warm running down my hand and chest.

I didn't notice I'd been shot; all I was thinking at that time was Polina being safe and her beautiful smile worth my life. Her trembling hands fled to my shoulder in a desperate wish to cover my wound.

- We need to go, now! Hold on to me, Nick. – Her face was worried and she wrapped her hand around me for support.

This was funny, I was much bigger than her, and there was no way in hell she could carry me, but it was obvious on her face, she was manfully set on doing this if needed. I chuckled on the thought of her caring me and she looked weirdly at me. I just shook my head.

- I'm ok, lets go.

We run through the hall and stairs which would lead us to the back door of the house. People were running behind us, but we still were ahead of them. I prayed we would have time to jump in the car.

I felt my hand becoming numb and it was difficult to keep the pace, but her strong firm hand wrapped around my waist gave me strength and I couldn't let her down. My body had the extra fuel – adrenalin, and I was determined to not let Polina die.

When I saw our car just a few meters away, I heard the gunshots behind us. They were close. I gave Polina our car keys and a gun, and made her look into my eyes.

- You drive and I will hold them back – I shoved her lightly to the car doors.

- What? – Her wide eyes were looking at me in disbelief. – I won't leave you here to die!

- No time to argue, Poli – And as to confirm my words, a bullet hit just a few inches from me and shattered the glass in the car. We both turned around and saw three men too close, there was no time.

- Go! - I yelled at her and pulled my gun, shooting back at the guards.

I shot one of them and he fell to the ground, and the rest hid behind the trees. I knew there would be more of them in no time following Polina, so I needed to give her time to run to the safe distance. Just then I saw a SUB driving from the corner.  I knew it was for us.

Polina looked at me and then back at guards. She quickly sat in the car and started it. I couldn't believe what I saw next.

Polina gained speed moving backwards in the direction of guards and the car. She ran over one of them and shot another through the open window also shooting in the car's front window never once missing. It was impressive. Everything took her a minute or less. Then she drove my way, pulling beside me.