15 Being Honest

The road brought us to the small lawn

The road brought us to the small lawn. Big old trees that were on both sides of the road all the way finally parted and I found myself on the clearing.

The small wooden cottage was built in the middle of it, surrounded by the old forest. The full moon was shining right above the house making it seem like a Disney movie. The cottage was not so big,  with big windows from the ceiling to the floor. Nick pulled over and killed the engine.

- Nice house - I said feeling uncomfortable after our small talk in the car.

Without saying a word, Nick left the car and went straight to the door.

- Fucker - I mumbled and also got out.

I nervously shifted from one foot to another looking cautiously around and decided to go after him. Nick had already turned the lights on and I could look around.

It was more modern interior inside the house. I was standing in a big room with a stone fireplace in the middle of the glass wall and big comfy looking couches around it.

From my left was a kitchen, and right beside me was wooden stairs, which led to the second floor

From my left was a kitchen, and right beside me was wooden stairs, which led to the second floor. I loved this house from the first sight.

Nick was in the kitchen banging pots and pans. I walked into the kitchen and sat at the table. I was exhausted with worry and constant overthinking.

- Do you want to drink something? - Nick asked without even looking at me.

- No thanks - I leaned back on the chair and crossed my legs.

- So, Katia, tell me why do some certain people want to see you six feet under? - he began acting all business.

- I don't see how it is your business? - I drummed my fingers on the table surely pissing him off. I didn't know why, I was just stubborn and childish.

- Oh, it is my fucking business now! - He slammed his hand on the table in front of me. I jumped up on my chair a little. Fear crossed my face. His cold eyes sent chills down my spine. - I want to know what shit I got myself into and why the only close person to me has been killed. - His voice was thick with emotions. He rubbed his face with his hands and hung his head leaning on the table on his fists.