03

chapter three
name tags

• • •

JENNIE LEANED AGAINST a wall, one foot behind the other. She unzipped her purse and took out a pack of cigarettes, taking one piece from it before dropping the rest of the pack back into her bag. She gets a lighter from her pocket and lights up the tip of the cig, inserting the tip of it in between her lips.

She inhaled deeply, pulling the cigarette away from her mouth and breathing out a puff of grey smoke scattering through the windy air. She held her cigarette in between her fingers, not too far away from her lips.

All of a sudden, there was a ringing and vibration coming from her purse. It seems to be that someone was calling her.

She sighed, placing the cigarette back into her mouth and inhaling more of the smoke, before releasing some of it once again. She then out her phone from her bag and saw that an unknown number was calling her.

Letting her phone ring for a while, whilst she was looking at the number on the screen, she thought a bit to herself before actually answering whoever might be calling her, then placing her phone next to her ear.

"Hello?" Jennie started, "Who is this?"

"Jennie-ah, it's me. Lisa." the voice said from the other end of the line.

"Lalisa?"

"Yeah, yeah! It's me. I hope you haven't forgotten about me." Lisa chuckled.

"No, not at all." Jennie took another inhale from the cigarette. "Did you get a new phone?"

"Yeah... how did you know?" Lisa laughed, sounding like as if she was amused with Jennie's statement.

"Idiot, this number wasn't saved on my phone. I just guessed you got a new phone and had my number, so."

"Ohh... I see. Yeah."

There was a bit of silence between them, and Jennie just kept exhaling more puffs of smoke into the air, waiting until the younger female would say something.

Just more time passed, and they both haven't said anything to break the quietness.

"So... why'd you call me?" Jennie wondered, deciding that she'd at least say something to kill the awkward silence they had not too long ago.

"Oh yeah, um- I just had to tell you I got a new phone and wanted you to save this number." Lisa explained. "But also, I wanna hang. Where are you right now?"

"Sorry, not free today." Jennie told.

"Aww, what? I thought you were always free most of the time! What are you doing?" Lisa whined in an annoyingly upset tone.

"We can just hang out together some other day." Jennie just simply said, not bothering to answer the question. Besides, Lisa doesn't have to know all of her plans anyway.

"Why? What are you busy with? You screwing people for money now?"

"What the fuck—no! Fuck no. That's disgusting."