22

chapter twenty two
remembrance?

• • •

"AH," JISOO LIGHTLY hit Jennie's shoulder, giggling in an awkward manner, sounding ingenuine, but the only purpose being to lessen her worry about the other girl by a bit. "Don't say such things. If you really do that, I swear—"

"Jisoo," Jennie said the slightly shorter female's name in a serious tone of voice, which caused Jisoo to suddenly stop in the middle of her dialoguing, throwing a confused, puzzled expression at the other female.

"What?" Jisoo looked at Jennie addled, a weird smile still clinging onto her lips. She focused on the sudden grim that appeared on Jennie's face, sensing that something might be wrong or bothering her.

"Do you..." Jennie stared into Jisoo's eyes, walking a little closer towards the older girl, "...not really remember... me?" she asked, her tone of voice going at a slow, steady speed as words spilled out. The sudden question brought up caused more confusion to gradually build up more in Jisoo's emotions, backing away as Jennie walked closer to her.

"What are you talking about? Are you saying that we've met before?" Jisoo asked, averting her gaze away from Jennie's, her eyes nervously looking around the place.

Jennie just stared at Jisoo in silence, halting in the middle of her tracks as she was slowly walking towards Jisoo while the latter was backing away with every small, little step she took.

"Well..." a small sigh escaped Jennie's lips as she broke her piercing gaze at Jisoo. "It's—nothing. Never mind." Jennie shook her head, running her hand through her dark strands of hair, pushing back the tiny locks of hair that got in her face, which then made her hair look messier, but she didn't seem to mind it much.

"What do you mean 'it's nothing'?" curiosity started to blend in with Jisoo's emotions of confusion. She wanted to know why Jennie suddenly brought up the question out of nowhere, and why she was acting like that out of the blue. A small sense of unknown familiarity unexpectedly hits Jisoo when she looked into Jennie more, but — just what exactly is it?

"Forget about it, please," Jennie demanded, turning away from Jisoo. "When I'm, uh, feelin' a lil' tipsy, I... I say weird stuff. So, just excuse anything strange I do or say. Okay?"

"Um. Okay, sure." Jisoo nodded her head, trying to keep the thought away, just like Jennie had told her — forgetting about it.

Jennie does look a little familiar. But— but... this is only the first time I've met her. There's no way I know her, or she knows me. That's not possible at all. Maybe she thought I was someone else? Ah. I'm just thinking too much about things. I should... just forget about it.

"Do you want to go back inside, Jisoo?"

"Huh?"

Jisoo blinked her eyes rapidly as she snapped back to reality, freeing herself from her thoughts that were just about to gobble up her mind.

"You look like you were zoning out for a sec there," Jennie was already facing Jisoo again. She gently placed her hand on the older's shoulder, giving it light pats before pulling it away, tittering as she did so. "If you're thinking about what I just said, don't worry too much about it. if you think too much about something, you won't concentrate well."

"Oh- yeah. You're right..." Jisoo looked down, soft sighs emitting from her lips as she gently rubbed her own arm. "To be honest, Jennie..." she looked up at Jennie and approached her, stepping a little closer to her.

"Hm? What is it?"

"I really, really appreciate you bringing me here and stuff... I enjoyed myself a lot in there, but... I don't think I really fit in or belong there. Don't get me wrong, I really liked being here, it was fun and all, but..." Jisoo chewed lightly on her bottom lip. "I guess I'm just tired," she continued. "I still have work later, too."

"Oh, yeah. I forgot," Jennie smiled, laughing at herself. "Sorry. I shouldn't have brought you here at this time. I could've just waited for your day-offs to come but... I got too excited." Jennie apologized, shyly avoiding Jisoo's eyes on her.

"It's okay. It's not your fault, really," Jisoo reassured the female. "I wanted to be with you too anyway, so... I was excited too." Jisoo's smile shifted to an awkward one, and her cheeks were lightly red from what she just said.

"...Really?" Jennie turned her gaze back on Jisoo, her eyes sparkling in happiness (a/n — lmao what is this some anime???).

All of a sudden, there were sounds of police sirens that seemed to be coming their way, which caused both females to be hit with surprise, getting startled by the sounds that gradually grew louder and louder as it got closer.

Jisoo and Jennie both look at each other, both equally panicked.

A police car drove close to them and parked a small distance away from them. A familiar man came out of the police car, holding onto a certain uniform Jisoo very well known where exactly it came from.

"Shit."