07

AUTHOR'S NOTE
just to avoid any possible confusion, any italicized words are supposed to be the character's thoughts in their minds! :)
anyways, onto the story~

chapter seven
desk talk

• • •

⋯⋯

AS JENNIE HEADED back into the hotel, she glanced at the giant clock somewhere around the interior. As her eyes shot around the place, she spotted Jisoo again by the reception desk. The female receptionist met Jennie's eyes, and her lips formed into a soft smile, slightly cocking her head to the right as a cute and friendly gesture.

Jennie smiled back at her, revealing her pearly whites, letting out low grins. She walked towards the desk and placed her arms on top of it. "Mornin', Jisoo." she greeted. "How'd you get here? I didn't see you go in the entrance." the female questioned.

"Oh, there's a special entry for employees somewhere. That's like, the designated place for the employees and the people that work here go in to." Jisoo explained, her hands cupped together. Her hair, this time, instead of being usually put up in a tidy bun, was tied into a low pony tail with some hair left at the front of her face on each side, and it delicately complimented her sweet frame.

Jennie was yet again astonished at how beautiful Jisoo looked. Her uniform sweetly accentuated her figure, and it greatly brought out her endearing features. It's just that, every time Jennie laid her eyes on Jisoo and just looked into her intently, everything else just blurs out and Jennie could only focus on the pretty receptionist.

There was a little smile on Jennie's face, and her eyes looked directly into the receptionist. It was the second time that she acted like this in front of the older female, Jisoo.

"You're not wearing your sunglasses anymore." Jisoo pointed out all of a sudden, cutely giggling when she noticed the other girl staring at her quietly.

Jennie blinked multiple times, shaking off those googly eyes she was giving Jisoo. "Sorry... Um. Yeah. Haha." she laughed nervously, averting her gaze from the receptionist.

She's really changed a lot. Damn. A glow-up.

"Why were you staring at me like that? Was there something on my face?" Jisoo raised a finger and pointed at her face. "Or... do I just look that good?" her red-coated lips turn into a playful smirk.

"Yes, there is something on your face." Jennie responds, stepping a step back with her arms crossed, striking a sassy -looking pose.

"H-Huh? There is?" Jisoo began to touch her face in panic. She was very sure that she blended in her make-up well, and made sure to get rid of any pigment that accidentally got on her face.

"Mhm." Jennie nodded. "It's cuteness."  she shot a wink at Jisoo, laughing softly at herself. Fuck, that was so corny. Jennie told herself in her mind, mentally cringing at herself.

Jisoo's eyes widened, and she froze for a moment, before spills of soft laughter came out of her mouth. "Well, thank you?" a bright red spread across the receptionist's cheeks.

To Jisoo, Jennie looked a lot more attractive without the sunglasses covering her eyes. She had nicely shaped eyes, with curled lashes and a medium tone of brown as the color of her iris. Jisoo was glad she got to saw a better view of Jennie's face—after all, she kind of wanted to see how she'd look without the sunglasses.

Jisoo knew not to stare for too long, for Jennie may notice her action. However, her eyes did look into Jennie's for a quick while, but it was enough for Jisoo to see the details.

There was an awkward silence between the two, and during that, they had an interval of silently staring at each other with these weird look placed on their faces.

"So.. Um..." Jennie stammered, breaking the quietness. "We should hang out together some time. When you're not busy, of course. It must be tiring doing your job." Jennie said in a rising tone, but tried not to sound too awkward as she spoke.

"Hmm... I don't know when's my day off, but I'm hoping it's soon! Since... I am looking forward to hanging out with you." Jisoo replied, sighing softly.

"What time does your shift end?" Jennie asked.

"Around 12:30 AM. But I do have my break times." Jisoo answered.

"What time are your break times?"

"Each break I have lasts for 25 minutes only. I have one at 3 PM, then at 6 PM."

Jennie lightly tapped her chin, thinking of something as she stood there.

"What about we hang out with each other at those times?" the female suggested. "Where do you usually have your breaks at?"

"Oh, in our private office with other employees. But... guests aren't allowed in there." Jisoo replied, smiling awkwardly.

"Then we go meet each other somewhere else." Jennie immediately says right after. "How about at my room? Or perhaps outside somewhere else?"

"Um... I only have 25 minutes each break, so... maybe just at your room would be okay." the older female told. It would be risky just sneaking up to Jennie, a guest, to her room like that, since there are other people that work in the hotel that roam around doing their assigned jobs; Jisoo had to be extra careful.

"Sure, sounds good. Be there as soon as possible, okay? Don't keep me waiting for too long. I hate waiting." Jennie warned, her tone of voice shifting from a normally happy one to an annoyed one, to put some emphasis.

"Don't worry. I'll try to get there on time." Jisoo reassured, smiling softly.

"I didn't say you had to go there on time. Just don't keep me waiting for too long. I'm also gonna be texting you more often probably, so you better get used to that—otherwise, we wouldn't work out well."

Realizing what Jennie just said at the latter part of her sentence, her face morphed into a look of confusion. "As... as friends, I mean." she continued.

"Yeah... It's okay. I mean, I do need someone to text me more often. I never really talk to anyone much..." Jisoo looks away from the female and breathed in deeply, exhaling through her nose. "Or more like, no one really talks to me much except a few."

"Why not? I thought you'd be the type to have lots of friends. You're really friendly and nice, anyway." Jennie tilts her head, her hair moving gracefully with her head.

"No. Not really. It's always been like this since I was young." Jisoo explains, "People used to make fun of me all the time, because I used to not speak a lot and I apparently looked ugly."

As Jisoo's words enter through Jennie's ears, a series of different events from the past flash in her mind, when she was a middle schooler.

As the thoughts ran through her mind, Jennie gulped, "You aren't ugly. I bet you were really beautiful. I mean, until now, you still are..." Jennie blushed as she tried to comfort Jisoo.

"Thanks, I know I am." Jisoo chuckled. "If only that's what I knew when I was younger," she sighed to herself, thinking about the nostalgia she was experiencing when she spoke about past events.

Jennie didn't know what to say, so she just nodded along.
How does she not recognize me at all? Gosh... she doesn't seem to be forgetting about what happened. Fuck. That doesn't matter now, does it?

"Jennie?"

"Huh?"

"Oh. Sorry. You were just dozing off all of a sudden. Am I really that pretty?" Jisoo smiled, giggling playfully. "Just kidding."

"Maybe." Jennie smirked at the receptionist, eyeing her carefully.

...

...

"W-What?"