Chapter 6

It’s been a few days since Shawn’s first performance. Today’s the first day of school. Hopefully, everything would get back to normal. I put on a white t-shirt with a print and a pair of black shorts. I dressed my feet in a pair of Vans, which basically was the only brand I loved. I put some make-up on and brushed my hair. I had promised Connor that I would meet him at the Plaza for breakfast before school today. I opened the door and as I stepped out I felt something underneath my feet. A letter. I picked it up and read the messy handwriting. It was Matt’s. I could tell. What the hell was wrong with him? Didn’t he understand what I meant that night? I put it in my pocket and didn’t even bother to open it. I locked the door and began walking towards the Plaza. I met up with Con and we had our breakfast. Connor went to the bathroom before we left and I just sat there, watching people walk by. A few old ladies sat by the park and talked. A couple of business men passed quickly. A boy on a penny board, wearing a colorful top and a pair of shorts… Wait. Matt? I ran outside and looked down the street before shouting.

“Matt!” he jumped off his penny and looked back confused. He started jogging up the hill he just rode down.

“Hello.” He said, unusually happy. I shook his adorable smile off and looked at him seriously.

“Did you not get my message that night?” I began. “STOP. SENDING. HER. LETTERS.” I continued and he just stood there, laughing. The wrinkles at the end of his eyes, his cute laugh and his hair bouncing on the top of is head. Why was he so cute when I tried being angry at him?

“You didn’t read the letter, did you?” he asked before turning around and started going down the hill once again. “Read it Y/N!” he shouted as he disappeared in the crowded street. What was he talking about? I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“You ready?” I heard Connor’s usual cheery voice ask.

“Yeah…” I said slowly, still looking down the way he went.

After the first day, I sat down on one of the benches outside of school to read the letter.

“Dear Y/N,” I read. Wait… Y/N? I continued reading it quietly.

Did you really think I’d let a girl like you walk home alone on a night like that? Don’t take this the wrong way now, but yes, I followed you home that night. When I saw you walking into Belle’s house, I figured she’d moved out. I’m sorry for giving you a horrible first impression of me, I swear, I’m actually a decent guy if you give me a chance. Would you give me a chance? I’m gonna be in the cafeteria after school today. If you’re ready to give me a chance to change my first impression, I’d like for you to meet me there. 3 pm?

-          M.

My thoughts were a mess at the moment. I mean, he was cute and all that. But I don’t want to get dragged into his and Belle’s drama. What if we get our own drama? Because that’s the last thing I need right now.