Chapter 10

I woke up by a door shutting. I looked around drowsily and found myself in the same bedroom I was last night. What time was it? I rubbed my eyes and searched the room for a watch. My eyes got stuck on red lightened numbers. 09.13 am. Was that some kind of code or? Crap.

“Oh shit. Shit shit shit shit.” I repeated quietly and threw myself up from his bed. I walked from one side of the room to the other as quiet as I could but it wasn’t so easy when I kept stabbing my toe in something for every fucking step I took. I grabbed my clothes, stripped off his big sweater and slipped my own clothes on. They were still a bit wet from yesterday’s adventure. I opened the door carefully. I didn’t want to be heard, so I sneaked out of his house. As I stood on his big porch I realized I didn’t know how I’d get home. I spotted a blue pennyboard. I mean, it’s not stealing if you give it back later. I just needed to borrow it quickly, hope he didn’t mind. And off I went.

Matt’s p.o.v

I closed the door to the bathroom and returned to my bedroom, where I’d left her just a moment earlier. She fell asleep during the movie and even though I knew I probably should’ve woken her up, I didn’t. She looked too peaceful. I just couldn’t.

I didn’t leave the bedroom door open… or did I? I hurried inside and my bed wasn’t as I left it. I left it with the cutest, sleeping little angel and now it was empty. I sighed and mentally slapped myself for not waking her up last night. She was probably angry with me.

“Stupid, stupid Matt.” I whispered to myself and sat down on my bed. I looked around in my room and couldn’t help but look out the window. The waves curled up on the beach and a few people were out for a morning jog. An old lady walking her dog was seen from a distance and a girl going on a pennyboard towards the city was too. Wait? Was that? No, it couldn’t be… I ran downstairs and out on our porch. The pennyboard was gone.

“Mom!” I shouted and ran back inside. “I’m going to the city real quick! I’ll be back in an hour.” I took the car and breathed heavily on my way towards her place. How could she just take something like that?

Your p.o.v

It wasn’t the first time I’d been on a pennyboard. I had my own but I rarely used it anymore. I’d forgotten how much fun it was though.

As I got home I hurried inside and changed clothes. First period didn’t start until 10.00am, so I still had 20 minutes. I changed into a pair of shorts and a sweater with our school’s logo. It was game night tonight, so I would most probably stay in school until it started. Just as I was about to leave I heard a knock on the door. I opened up and faced Matthew.

“Where is it?” he asked angrily.

“Where’s what?” I asked shocked and confused. He was so nice yesterday, what had gotten into him?

“The unicorn marrying an elephant on a unicycle. What do you think I mean? The penny.”

“Jeez. What’s up with you? Chill out.” I breathed, kind of afraid of him, and then handed him the board. He left without another word. So did I.