Chapter 7

I decided to give him a second chance at a first impression, so I went to the cafeteria. Even though I was like 10 minutes late, he was still there. He had the same colorful tank top on, you know, the one he wore this morning. His quiff was showing from underneath his snapback. He was focusing on something lying on the table. He looked up for like a millisecond and saw me, but then looked back down at the table. Maybe I saw interrupting? I walked over to the table and could finally see what he was staring at. A big fat F on a paper. He looked so disappointed and scared.

“My mom is going to kill me.” He said quietly without tearing his eyes from the paper. It took me a while to answer. Mainly because I didn’t know what to answer.

“Sorry…” I started. “How come I’ve never seen you around?” I asked, curious to find out.

“Uh.. he said. That’s a long story.” He replied. God. Was that all? A long story? It seemed like his whole freaking life was a long story.

“I have time.” I replied, pretty annoyed.

“Can I tell you tonight?” he asked. What was happening tonight? He could see I was pretty confused so he continued by saying; “…and that was me trying to ask you out.” I could feel my entire face turning a shade redder. A smile spread across my face as I looked down at the ground.

“So is that a yes?” he asked. His frown had turned into a big smile and I nodded as a yes. Wow. How did he have that effect on me? Making me all nervous and nod? I’m usually much more confident than this.

He told me he had to get home, but that he’d pick me up at 7.00pm. As I got home I went straight to the closet. I knew I didn’t have anything good to wear for a date. I had skirts and dresses, yes, but none of them were special enough for a date. I picked up my phone and dialed Julie’s number.

“Y/N!” I heard from the other end.

“Julie!” I replied. “I have a fashion crisis. Can I come over?”

“Yeah of course. Whenever you can!” she replied and hung up.

I took my bag and started walking over to Julie and Katherine’s place.

Julie, Katherine, Shawn and Connor all share the same apartment but they split it in half so they could have a guy side and a girl side. They asked me if I wanted to live with them, but I figured it would be kind of cramped for space, so I got my own place instead. Their place was only a few houses up the street, so it wasn’t exactly like I lived far away.

I knocked on the door and faced a half asleep Shawn. He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

“Oh really? You’re that excited to see me huh?” I said and laughed. He laughed too. I gave him a hug before walking over to the girls’ side.

   After going through half of Julie’s closet, she asked me a question I knew would come up.

“So who is he?”

“He’s just a friend.” I replied simply.

“He must be a pretty special friend considering you can’t wear the clothes from your own closet.” She hinted and hit me playfully on the arm.

“Oh shut up.” I said and laughed. Katherine entered the room.

“Wow girl! You’re looking fine as heeeelll. Who’s the lucky guy?” she asked and sat down at the couch.

“It’s no one. Really.” I reassured them both.

“Oh come on! We just wanna know the boy’s name.” Julie said and looked over at Katherine, who nodded in agreement while taking a bite of an apple.

“His name is Matt. That’s basically all I know.” I said and felt the look of doom from both of them.

“Wait… Matt Espinosa?” Katherine asked and looked at me seriously.

“I don’t know his last name, but that could probably be it.” I said, afraid of what would come next. “Why? What about him?” I asked but they didn’t answer. “Seriously guys, you’re scaring me!” I said, trying to get an answer out from one of them.

“Look Y/N… He’s gonna have to tell you himself. But be careful, okay?” Katherine said.

“Yeah okay?” I answered quietly.

“No, I’m serious Y/N. You have to promise me, you’ll be careful.” She repeated.

“Okay, I swear on my mother’s life. I’ll be careful.” I said, kind of annoyed, yet worried what the hell was going on. God. What was everyone’s problem? Matt seems like a nice guy.