Chapter 28

Jack was really nice to me all the way to my room. Before saying goodnight, I gave him a tight hug.
“Thank you so much.” I said and he replied with a smile.
I closed the door and fell asleep right away.

I woke up by my phone ringing. I looked at the clock. 10.56.
“Hello?” I whispered as I picked up.
“Hey, Y/N, I’m so sorry to wake you…” I heard Jack Johnson’s voice say in the background.
“No it’s okay, I was already up.” I lied.
“Oh.. I was just thinking… Well… There’s another Magcon event tonight and since Matt isn’t going to perform, we need someone else. And we all hate saying that we’re replacing him, so let’s just call it a sub of the day.” He said all without breathing. “You don’t happen to know someone with talent? “ he asked and then quickly added, “or no talent, we’re desperate.” and laughed. The first person to pop into my mind was Shawn. I mean, we did fight but the guys really need someone.
“I think I know someone.” I said and then after listening to Jack saying thank you about a million times, we hung up. I dialed Shawn’s number.
“Hello?” I heard a voice, which was clearly not Shawn’s.
“Julie?” I asked surprised. “What are you doing with Shawn’s phone?”
“Well…” She said and giggled. Wow. All it takes is for me to be gone a couple of days and they’re dating. Connor and Katherine I could do. But Shawn and Julie? Whatever, they’re adults. They’re allowed to do what they want.
“So listen, I really need to speak to Shawn.” I heard her moving around and the next second, I heard Shawn’s morning voice on the other end. I told him about the event tonight and he wasn’t very positive about doing it. After a lot of begging and ‘please’s’ he finally agreed on coming to Atlanta and do the show.
“Thank you, thank you thank you.” I said and then got back to being serious. “But know this, just because you’re coming here, does not mean I’ve forgiven you.” I said and he mumbled an ‘I know’.

Nash and Gilinsky followed me to the airport, because they were the only two people, besides from Mahogany, that I’d really come close to. I felt safe when I was around them, like they wouldn’t judge me and like they didn’t care if I messed up. They were like my brothers and it felt like I had known them forever.
“So Shawn, was that his name?” Nash asked as we stopped by a red light. I called shotgun before leaving, so Jack was stuck in the back.
“Yeah.” I mumbled. I wasn’t very excited about seeing him. Jack must have read my mind.
“You sound about as excited as I am about sitting alone in the backseat.” He said annoying.
“Could be because I am.” I said and laughed.
“What? You’re not excited to see your best friend?” Nash asked and took off as the red light turned into a green light.
“He’s the only reason, apart from Matt, why I’m here.” I said and started fumble with my crop top.
“Ahh..” Jack said from the back. “Wait a minute… So that means we’re not your first reason to come here?” he said and laughed while hitting me playfully on the arm.
“I’d say you’re like the last reason.” I joked and laughed.
“Oooouch.” Nash said and held his fist to his mouth.
“Oh Nash… It’s a dead heat between you and Jack down there.” I joked, knowing he’d catch the joke, which he did.
“Fair enough.” He laughed and then we arrived at the airport.
“Do you want us to come?” Nash asked and leaned over the wheel while I got out of the car.
“I mean, I could kind of use your support.” I said and looked from Nash to Jack. Jack opened the car door and got out, saying;
“Thank God. I couldn’t take the backseat for one more second.” I laughed. He laughed. Nash laughed.