Chapter 18

Saturday morning, the day after Matt left for Magcon, I met up with Shawn at the Plaza. We ordered our usual stuff and sat down by our usual table. It was nice to go back to normal for a while.

"So how's Matt doing?" Shawn asked and took a sip of his coffee. It took me a while to answer because I didn't really know how he was doing.
"He lost his brother... How do you think he's feeling?" Shawn looked down a bit embarrassed but I made sure to tell him it was okay. A few sips of coffee later, Shawn opened his mouth as if I wanted to speak but stopped himself on the way.
"What?" I asked curious.
"Uh... Nothing." He replied uninterested.
"Oh come on, Shawn, tell me." I begged and looked at him with puppy eyes.
"It's stupid, really." He said but continued when I looked at him seriously. "There's just this party, at Lissa's tonight."
"Sounds like fun. When do you pick me up?" I asked and watched his mouth bend into a smile.

At 9pm, Shawn picked me up and drove us to Lissa's beach house. The place was packed as we arrived. A guy was held by a few others up-side-down, chugging bear from a huge beer keg.
"CHUG, CHUG, CHUG, CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!" a few guys from the lacrosse team shouted.
A Ping-Pong table was placed in the center of the room, surrounded by tons of people. A game of beer pong was in action and cheers were heard as someone scored.
"Want something to drink?" I heard Shawn shout over my shoulder and the extremely loud music. I nodded and smiled as he walked over to the kitchen.
I didn't exactly know Lissa. I know she's dating Evan Ellis, who's the goalie of the school team, and that she's very popular around school. So I was surprised when Shawn asked me about the party, since she usually didn't invite people outside of her group of friends.
I started walking towards the balcony, so I wouldn't look weird and awkward. A couple was having a hard-core making out session as I walked outside, but stopped as they saw me.
"Let's go upstairs instead." The guy said and I appreciated that. I looked out over the ocean and was amazed by the sky, shifting colors as the sun had just gone down behind the horizon.
"Y/N!?" I heard a familiar voice behind me. I turned around and saw Katherine there. She was wearing a black mini dress, which was dragged up so you could almost see her butt. Looking at her hair and the make-up under her eyes, I realized she was drunk.
"Hey Cathy!" I replied and she stumbled over to me.
"Aj deedn't know - Aj - Aj deedn't know Lissuurrr invajteed you!!" she spoke in a wet voice. She hugged me and before I could reply, she opened he mouth again. "You're so prjetty... you're always so prjitty!" she explained and I was saved by Connor.
"Hey Katherine. Come here instead." He said and looked at me with a forgiving look. His lips formed the words I'm sorry. And I nodded it was okay. I could tell he was, by far, more sober than she was. He led her inside and on the way they met Shawn.
"Here's your drink, my lady." He said with a funny voice and handed me a beer.
"I didn't realize a 'drink' was beer." I said and laughed. I didn't take the beer because I didn't want to end up like Katherine.
"More for me." Shawn laughed when I rejected the beer.
After watching Shawn drink up both bottles of beer and cheering for him in a game of beer pong, I sat down on a couch as he went for his third round.
Music was playing, people were dancing and suddenly I was in a full conversation with Lissa. Or... She was having a conversation with herself next to me.
"I mean, he basically wanted me to kiss him, but I didn't and now he's being a total ascrack. Like, I don't want to kiss someone who spits when they talk." She said with her girly, pitchy voice. I looked around confused and as I came back to Lissa, she was sleeping.
"Well that was fast." I said and stood up. I walked outside, thinking maybe it'd be less of a mess there. Shawn came behind me and held his arm over my shoulders.
"Why don't you love me?" he asked and I looked at him shocked.
"What are you talking about? Of course I love you!"
"Not like that! Like... Why don't you love, love me?"
"Are you serious?" I laughed and removed his arm from me.
"I'm one-hundred percent serious."