Chapter 30

Saying goodbye to them was probably the hardest thing I’d done in quite a while. I met them only a few days ago, but I really liked them. I didn’t only escape from reality for a few days, but I got myself a new reality. I met friends I didn’t think was possible to find and I’ll always be thankful for that. All of the boys told me they’d come visit both me and Matt as soon as they got the time. Mahogany said she’d be there before. There were tears and there were laughs. I think they had a hard time to let go of Matthew. And I could understand that. They were a family. They always will be.

The next morning, Matt and I were home again. I slept at his place, because I didn’t want to be alone.

“What’s on today’s schedule?” I asked him and curled up next to him in bed.

“Well… It’s been 20 days since Ryan passed away.” He said and I could hear how he was shaky on his voice. I looked up at his face and didn’t see a single tear. That was good for him.

“I think I just thought of something to do.” I said and smiled with the biggest smile on my face. I jumped out of bed and dragged Matt with me.

“Will miss tell me where she’s taking me?” Matt asked as we got into his car.

“We’re going to visit your brother.” I said and looked at his face turn into a big smile parade. “But first we’re buying flowers.” I said and took out my wallet. Matt drove us to the florist. We went inside and met the smell of flowers. We looked at all kinds of weird looking flowers.

“See anything you like?” I asked him as he grabbed my waist from behind and walked close to me.

“I don’t know…” he said but then saw something.

“What?” I asked curious and followed his eyes to a big vase, filled with gorgeous Lilies.

“They were his favorite flowers.” He said and smiled. I could see how he disappeared in some kind of memory. I took a handful of Lilies and walked over to the checkout.

“Y/N, I’ll pay.” He said as I was there.

“No, really, Matt. This is on me.” I said and looked at him with a nice, yet serious look. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

“You’re the best.” He said and took the Lilies in his hands.

“I know someone who’s pretty sweet too.” I said and took his free hand in mine.

We drove to the cemetery. It was hot outside, and even though it was September, it was still pretty colorful. We walked hand in hand down the cemetery, looking at the names on people’s graves and had a little competition; the one who found the oldest one won.

“Okay, so this guy was born 1888 and died in 1998. Dude was 110 years.” Matt said and laughed.

“Oh please. Elizabeth Smith, born 1857, died 1968. 111 years. BOOM.” I said and laughed. He laughed with me. Then we got to Ryan’s grave. Matt stood and smiled at the ground in front of the stone.

“Hey bro.” he said and crouched to place the flowers on the ground. “I’m missing you.” He said and wiped away a tear from his cheek. I back a few steps, so he could have some time alone with him. He was in the middle of talking memories when I heard my name.

“She’s right here.” He said and turned around. “I think you guys would’ve gotten along perfectly fine.” He smiled at me and I felt how my heart was burning in my chest. I walked over to him and sat down close to him.

“And I really mean that.” He said. I placed my head on his shoulder and we just sat there. Looking at his grave until the sun went down behind the horizon.