73. Kolivan- One Last Time

(Requested)

The contest is almost over! You still have until 11:59pm on May 20th to submit contest entries! Rules are pasted at the bottom!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Kolivan, you wanted to see me?" I spoke to the leader. What could he possibly want from me now?

"I know you're busy," he replied, "But I want to give you a word of warning." I was confused now.

"What? What happened?"

"Ulaz... Died this morning."

"You're kidding." I couldn't feel my jaw.

"I need a favor."

"Whatever you say, sir. I'll make sure the Galra pay for their behavior."

"I need you to draft an address."

"What? For who?"

"The paladins."

"Why?"

"I'm going to resign." I couldn't feel my face, I just stood there, still processing what Kolivan had just said.

"What?"

"One last time, c'mon fight with me one last time," he said firmly, facing me. "And then tonight, we're going to teach them how to say goodbye, you and I."

"No sir, why?"

"I want to talk about planning," he responded strictly, brushing past me.

"Sir, with the paladins and the Galra on the bridge of a war, this is the best time-"

"I want to warn against Coalition fighting."

"But-"

"Pick up a pen start writing," he growled, "I want to talk about what I have learned, the hard-won wisdom I have earned."

"But as far as the Blade is concerned, you have to serve! You could continue to serve-"

"No!" he thundered, "One last time, the Blade will hear from me one last time, and it we get this right, we're going to teach them how to say goodbye, you and I."

"Kolivan, they'll say you're weak."

"No, they'll say we're strong."

"Your position is so unique," I argued.

"So I'll use it to move them along," he snapped. I faltered, but continued.

"But why do you have to say goodbye?" I whispered, tears forming in my eyes.

"If I say goodbye, the universe learns to move on," he replied, as stoic as ever. "It outlives me when I'm gone. Like the scripture says: "Everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid." They'll be safe in the nation we've made. But, I wanna sit under my own vine and fig tree- a moment alone in the shade, at home in this nation we've made...

"One last time," we said together. I looked up at him and cupped his cheek, tears falling down my face.

"Don't make this sacrifice in vain, Kolivan." He smiled and kissed my hand, holding it for a few seconds before letting go.

"Don't make my sacrifice in vain, (Y/N)," he echoed, the edges of his lips curving upwards.

"Though, in reviewing the incidents of my administration,

I am unconscious of intentional error,

I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think

it probable that I may have committed many errors.

I shall also carry with me

The hope that my country will carry them with indulgence;

And that, after forty five years of my life dedicated to its service with an upright zeal

The faults of incompetent abilities will be consigned oblivion, as I myself must soon be to the mansions of rest

I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat in which

I promise myself to realize the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws

Under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust

Of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers."

I wiped the tears away as I prepared to send out the document for my whole universe to see.

"Why do you have to say goodbye...

"One last time?"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules:

__

1) You may not copy any of my oneshots. Period.

2) You have to come up with an amazing original idea, to make sure you blow me away!

3) Please do your best! I love seeing all your creative plots and pyramids of words!

4) Keep it PG 13 please!

5) Yes, ships are allowed! (Ex. Klance, Sheith, etc.) But you can also do "x Readers!"

6) I will be choosing two winners, and will feature their oneshots in this book, along with a tag, and a follow by me! (If I already follow you, well... Uhh, YOU GET A TAG AND A MENTION HAHA)

7) Do not steal other's work. Don't copy and paste a oneshot from another book. (Unless it's your own.)

8) DM me when you are done, in case I don't get a notification that you tagged me. If you don't, I will not include your short story in the competition. (Sorry!) State your purpose for DM-ing me, and paste a link to your story/chapter.

9) Please make sure you follow all these rules, since I don't want to have to kick anyone out! :)

10) The deadline is May 20th!