94. Shiro- Gone, Gone, But Still Here

(Requested)

40's Military AU

I'm obsessed with love stories like these. I find them so endearing :)

Also, this oneshot book will be continuing until November 1st!

Then I will be releasing a new book, then after I complete another oneshot book, I will release a oneshots book for Netflix's new series, "The Dragon Prince!"

Hope you enjoy ^^

__

My hands tightened around my apron in anticipation, my mind racing at the thought of my lover in my arms again. Many wives and families were here, ages ranging from 2 to even 80. Parents, lovers, and children of all ages and skin colors were waiting for their loved ones to come back.

As the train halted to a stop, the platform was silent, everyone's hearts seemingly beating at the same rate, getting faster and faster with every second that passed. The world went in slow motion as the soldier started to get off. I was almost knocked down by the wave of people that rushed forwards to greet the soldiers again. I weaved my way through the crowd, desperately trying to find Takashi, my super soldier, my lover, my everything.

I saw couples rejoice, children crying into the arms of soldiers that held their lives on the line for their country, and parents weeping at the sight of their kids finally coming back. Some soldiers came home to nothing. My heart ached at the sight of a sad and reluctant smile lacing their features. I wanted to be able to make people happy, but I couldn't do that if I wasn't myself.

"Takashi! Takashi!" I called out, desperately trying to find my lover through the crowd of military hats. I felt a hand tap my shoulder.

"Excuse me, but are you by any chance looking for Commander Shirogane?" a soldier asked, taking his hat off. I nodded desperately, my hands clasped together.

"Do you know where he is?" I begged, eyebrows furrowed together. "Please tell me my husband is okay, I beg of you, please." The soldier placed his hat near his heart.

"I'm sorry, but he was presumed dead on the battlefield. We could find several evidences of his DNA, but no body. Our scientists think he died of blood-loss, and the enemies got ahold of his body. We only have his arm left. It was a clean cut, shoulder down."

I could almost feel my heart slowing down, the world around me becoming hazy, voices distorting and the scene shifting. My pupils dilated at a rapid pace, making my eyes twitch and my hands start to shake. I gripped onto the sides of my sleeves, trying to calm down, my mind switching to full on panic mode.

"Excuse me, are you alright?" someone said, voice muffled. I gave them a crazed look, smiling with tears running down my face, my eyes glossed over, almost crystal-like, shining. My eyelashes were wet with tears, dripping onto the ground with each water droplet shed from my eyes.

Did I look alright?

No.

__

I hated life for the next year. I was not able to even try to save myself by remarrying. I couldn't get myself to. Shiro was my only love. I can't even say his name without having the urge to throw up or cry. I wanted to try and be strong for him. My friends came over everyday to make sure I was still me. I was grateful for them.

Especially Keith. The loss of Shiro impacted us both very forcefully, since we were both extremely close to him. Keith worked at a nearby tailor's shop, where he'd work with his partner, Lance to fix stitching patterns and such. Their shop was called "Thread The Needle," and was very famous around the parts here.

We had a funeral for Takashi shortly after he'd been reported dead. There was no body in the casket when we buried it. I couldn't see him one last time. His last words to me were, "I love you, (Y/N). Goodbye, now. We'll see each other soon."

I wish that was true. I wished this had never happened. And yet here I was, sitting on the roof of my house, gazing up at the clear night sky, my eyes reflecting the light from a single lamp I had brought up.

"Let me breathe, Takashi. Why did you have to make me worry?" A tear slid down my cheek, eyes glistening again. I brought one hand up to wipe it away.

__

I went with Allura to the train station to board the next train to fetch groceries. There was thirty minutes before our train, and it was as busy as ever. My eyes swept the crowd, looking in vain as I tried to spot any familiar faces. This was the same spot I stood a year ago, breaking down about Takashi.

"Commander Shirogane, are you alright? What happened?" I let out a gasp, gathering the attention of a few people. I turned my head at the direction of the voice. No. It's not possible. But no one else has that last name, except me. And Takashi.

Shiro.

I stood on top of the bench I sat on, boots clamping down on the hard wood.

"I'm fine now, Officer Griffin. The Garrison Squad got me back a few weeks ago. Now they deemed me free to go back." I knew that voice. I breathed deeply and mustered all the vocal strength I had to scream over the crowd.

"Takashi!" I yelled, voice lightly wavering because of the emotion I felt. "Takashi!" I saw a head turn. My heart dropped a bit when I saw their head. White and black hair? Was someone coincidentally named Takashi Shirogane? No, forget that, if this is a chance to at least try to find Takashi, I'll do it.

"Here!" As I leaned forwards, I lost my balance and my weight shifted forwards. I felt all my momentum move to the front of me, the air nearly knocked out of me as I landed on something. An arm. A singular arm.

"I'm sorry, were you calling for me?" a voice said. I subconsciously let out a sob as everything came crashing down, a sandcastle of feelings caving in from the inside. I knew that voice. I knew him.

"Are you okay? Why are you crying-" I looked up and smiled, eyes crinkled, tears rapidly spilling out of them.

"Takashi. You're back," I whispered, lifting myself up. "I can't believe it's you..." I visibly saw his eyes widen, pupils dilate and shrink from surprise. I saw a prominent scar on his nose, and his hand was covered in scars, as I saw from it covering his mouth.

"(Y/N)...?" I nodded and smiled, holding out my arms. It was his turn. Shiro cried out and flung himself into my arms, sliding down so his ear was near my heart. I bit my bottom lip, trying not to get any of my tears on his now white and black hair. People had made a small circle around us, looking at the heartfelt scene in front of them.

"You were gone for so long, Takashi. Every day was hell, you bastard," I sobbed, gripping his hair and army uniform sleeves. "I was so worried. We had a funeral- your- fuck..."

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, (Y/N)," he yelled, hugging my torso. I could feel his tears soaking through the fabric of my dress shirt. Everyone started to clap and cry with us. Shiro got up and I pulled his head roughly to connect my lips with his in a much-needed kiss.

Today marks the start of a renewed couple.