Pilot

Camila's POV

Lauren Jauregui. Bal Harbor High school's pride and joy. Everyone either wants her or wants to be her. She's gorgeous, the head cheerleader, captain of the softball team, president of our class, rich, and drives a nice car—what more could she strive for? Oh yes, I know! An appealing personality. She's self consumed and paired with that, extremely cocky. She holds the beauty and life standards for everyone at school but they're just physical aspects.

She and her friends have tormented me for what seems all of my life, but through it, I could see the pain in her eyes. She was different than they were. I was certain. And that's why I think I've grown to like her in the same way everyone else did. It was interesting for me to find a person who's so perfect at everything and hasn't hurt me. By this I mean, sure she's messed with me a few times, but she knows when to stop. She never let's things get too far for anyone. I know no one else sees it, but I do. She's one of those girls who's in a group of white collar kids with a heart. She probably won't admit it to herself, but I know it's true. I figured this out the day that I was on the verge of getting a brutal beating.

I was on my way to P.E in an Ed sheeran tee, black shorts and black converse. My destination was only a few doors down. I was walking peacefully, when suddenly, I was met by them. The popular group who called themselves 'The Preps'. There were 5 people in that group Drew Chadwick, Madison Beer, Vero Iglesias, Michael Willet and the one and only Lauren Jauregui.

There were only four of them there, all but Lauren. But even so, I knew where our encounter was heading. I gulped and felt my body begin to tremble.

Drew approached me. He was a tall muscular boy with a perfect face but horrible people skills. He was too crass and often said the wrong thing, but he did it on purpose. He loved eliciting reactions from people. Except today he didnt use his words. He pushed me against the wall. My body collided instantly and caused my glasses to fall to the ground.I winced in pain, then rubbed my eyes. Crap. I'm blind. I got on my knees and started to feel all over for my glasses.

"What's the matter Camila? Can't see?" Madison said, with a smug smile on her face. She was different too. But not in the way Lauren was. Madison liked instilling fear in people but only because it helped her cope with her own life. Like Lauren, was undeniably beautiful, but most of the time, she only let people see the ugly side of her.

I flared out my nostrils in annoyance, "Obviously," I spat out, regretting what I said almost immediately.

"What was that? I know I didn't hear you talk back to me?"

"I meant that, I'm going to be late for class guys. Can we do this after school or something?" I proposed.

They all laughed.

"You're hilarious, No we can't do this after school. That is, unless, we run into you again." Michael said as he held back a laugh.

I glared at him.

Vero then violently grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, pulling me up a few inches away from her face. "Listen dork. We can mess with you however and whenever we want."

I could feel the fabric of my shirt being stretched. Noticing my anxiety over it, Veto's lips curled up into a smile before dropping me back on the ground.

I sighed and continued to look for my glasses on the cold, grey cement. I thought if I could maybe, just maybe find them, I would be able to run and get away.

Madison crouched down next to me and picked something up. I squinted my eyes at the object she was holding in her hands.

"Looking for these?" She asked dangling my glasses in my face.

I made an attempt to grasp them but failed. She pulled them away too quick for me to catch. She then put them on. She immediately jerked. "God your blind." She said taking them off. She then stood up, dangled them in front of me and dropped them again. She raised her foot over them and stopped.

"Madison, please." I pleaded.

"You're so pitiful." She said holding her stomach in laughter. She was distracted in laughter, they all were. Now was my chance. I quickly reached and grabbed them. I put them on as fast as I could and ran.

The laughter stopped and before I knew it, they were hot on my trail. In fact, they were catching up to me faster than I could run. I didn't stand a chance. I never did. And just as I was going to give up, I bumped into someone. My nose hitting hard against their shoulder. I held onto my nose and felt blood trickle down my palm and onto my arm. If the whole thing wasn't embarrassing enough, I was dripping blood all over someone's white sneakers. I didn't want to look up, I couldn't.

I heard the prep's shoes shriek behind me, making a sharp stop. In that moment, I knew I was as good as dead.

"No! Please I'm sorry," I said closing my eyes tightly and putting my hands over my head.

"You're gonna wish you never done that," Drew growled as they all crowded over me.

"You're dead, nerd, " Madison spit before throwing her leg back to kick me. I could feel my arms trembling. It was over.

"Guys," I heard a smooth, husky voice say.

Everyone stopped.

I looked up to see who it was. It was none other than Lauren Jauregui. She was gorgeous, with her wavy brown hair, pale skin, pink lips and mesmerizing green eyes. And those eyes, were the most dangerous thing about her. On the surface they were fierce and cat-like, exuding the upmost confidence and strength. But if you stared long enough, you could see the pain behind the myriads of glittery emerald galaxies. She was alluring but it was the mystery of that sadness that had me hooked.

"That's enough. Come on," She said motioning her hand for them to follow.

They obeyed and followed her, except Madison.

She pointed at me, her brow quirking up and twitching in the way it did whenever she didn't get away with murder. "We're not done. You better hope I don't run into you again," She threatened me.

"Madison, " I heard Lauren scold her.

Madison groaned before following behind Lauren. She knew her place. In fact, we all did. That was the sad thing about this school. It was straight from a shitty 90's high school movie. But this was my reality, my life.

Once they left, I sighed in relief and sat on the ground, utterly confused. I replayed the memory in my head trying to figure out why I was spared. She saved me, but why?

Throughout the end of our junior year, I began to look at Lauren with a new lens. I admired her beauty, but more importantly, her heroic acts. I noticed that I wasn't the only one who she saved. She did it all the time. In subtle ways of course, but it was in these moments when I could see the light inside her. Don't get me wrong, Lauren is everything but nice but she wasn't all bad either. She'd still push us around but she never had the intention of hurting anyone. She was different. Unlike the others. And I liked her because of that. I know it's sort of pathetic to have a thing for someone like her—but I know her, the real her. And she may not know me at all, but she's closer to me than she thinks . . . I'm the girl next door.