Chapter 6

Gus had left 15 minutes ago when I got a call from him.

"Hazel Grace, come over."

"What?"

"Now!!"

And the line went dead.

I ran downstairs and told my parents where I was going. When they insisted I eat something first, I told them I was eating with Gus and and his family....which was probably a lie.

"Alright honey. Be safe!" My mom said.

~~~

I speed-walked to Gus's doorway and didn't bother to knock. I shouted a quick 'hi' to his parents and went downstairs as fast as my lungs could handle.

"Hazel!" Isaac looked relieved.

"Hey, Isaac...Gus, why'd you need me so urgently?" I asked, and sat on the couch.

"Monica." He looked dubious.

"She's here?"

"No. She wants to get back with Isaac."

"The scary thing is that I'm actually debating it." Isaac whined.

"So i'm here to, what, give my opinion?" I asked.

"You're here to have a chat with Monica who will be over in 10 minutes." Gus stated.

"Why me?"

"You have a feminine touch." The guys said in unison. I rolled my eyes.

~~~

Monica and I were seated on Gus's bed.

"So you want Isaac back?" I asked her.

"Yeah. It was such a cruel mistake to dump him for something he couldn't control." A tear ran down her face.

I almost felt bad.

"You broke his heart. And, to a certain extent, Augustus's trophies." I almost laughed at the memory.

"I know, and I also know no apology is acceptable from me." She bawled. "But I miss him."

"It seems to me that you're taking the easiest path out of the labyrinth: straight and fast.*" I said.

"Labyrinth? What labyrinth?"

"The labyrinth of suffering."

"Oh. So what does that mean?"

"It means that you are trying to fill the hole in your gut with the same thing you took out of it. And it will never be the same way, no matter how hard you try.*"

"So I shouldn't even try with Isaac?"

"Thats not my decision. It's up to you and Isaac, and you two alone." I then got up and left Monica to her thoughts.

-------------------

* - John Green book reference. Star one: Looking for Alaska

Star two: An Abundance of Katherines (I finished that one in a day it was so good!)