Chapter 16

As Gus and I packed everything up from the bake sale, I thought about his soliloquy.

It was all true, and he was one hundred percent correct. We were together, and that was all that should matter.

I agreed, but I just couldn't let it go. We were both going to die soon.

I repeated it like a mantra, except that a mantra is supposed to have a positive impact on you. And oddly enough, repeating that Gus and I were dying over and over wasn't making me feel any better.

"Let's go inside Gus. It looks like it's going to rain." I rubbed my hands against my arms.

"Are you cold?"

"A little."

"Here. Before I could stop him, Gus was pulling off his hoodie and taking out my cannula so I could put it on.

"Thanks." I said. I sucked in a breath, and it smelled clean. It smelled like Gus. And I felt better.

As we got the last of the tables in the garage, it started to pour.

We looked at each other, and then, ran into the rain.

I put my oxygen tank on my shoulders and jogged around with Gus. Pausing constantly to catch my breath.

Eventually, Gus and I held each other as we slow-danced in the downpour. I rested my head on his chest.

I could feel his heartbeat, and it was fast.

I blushed. "Do you still get nervous around me?"

"All the time. Even though that is totally cheesy." Gus laughed, and I could feel the reverberations in my ear.

"Augustus Waters?" I lifted my head up.

"Yes, Hazel Grace?"

"I love you." I smiled.

"I love you too."

And then we kissed. And that made me feel better, too.

PLEASE READ

Hey guys! So I didn't get 5 votes in my previous chapter. I got two. So I've changed my update neccessities: 40 reads and 2 votes MINIMUM. Love you guys! Sorry for the long wait!